X10 review by Washburn

Washburn: X10

I play blues and rock through a Fender Deluxe 85 amp. The sound is not very good compared to more expensive guitars, but for the price, the pickups are pretty good. The humbucker provides a sharp tone, excellent for hardrock and heavy metal, and leads (making pinch harmonics is easy on this guitar). The single-coils deliver a warmer sound, and I really like to combine both the middle and the neck pickup, for a warm, twangy sound. As I said, it doesn't sound impressive, but for the price, it's a great guitar.

I have been playing guitar for over 8 years at the moment, and I still like the Washburn X10. When I bought this guitar, I didn't really know what style I was going to play, but now I play almost nothing but blues and rock. It fits pretty good, but I am going to buy a different guitar (Epiphone Sheraton II with SH-55 pickups), because I want something better. It is a great guitar for the price, but if you can afford it, maybe you should check out some other stuff too. If it was stolen, I would beat up the thief (like most other review writers), and do other evil stuff to him, but I wouldn't buy it again, simply because my musical taste has changed, and I have more money to spend, but if you are looking for an affordable guitar, this is definately a very good, maybe the best, choice.

I mentioned it before: this is not an expensive guitar, so it is slowly wearing out. I have had this guitar for a long time, and I play very often on it, so the frets are getting flat. The bridge saddles were worn too, so the strings didn't last long, so I sanded it, but this problem occured when I already had this guitar for a long time. I am sure I can depend on it, and I do. The only trouble I've had with it are small things, that can be fixed easily.

It was set-up really good. I checked the intonation myself, but everything was alright. The action is quite low, and I didn't experience fret buzz. The only point is, that when you play higher notes (above the 15th fret), the action is getting a lot higher, which can be pretty annoying. The finish (shiny red) was really strong, it has never been damaged, but after a while I found it kind of boring, and I wanted to mess around with my guitar a bit, so I sanded off the finish and replaced it by a transparant finish.

24 frets, rosewood fingerboard, Basswood body, double cutaway, tremolo bridge, 2 single coil pickups (middle and neck) and a humbucker. This guitar has a 5-way selector, one volume control and one tone control. The die-cast tuners are pretty good, the guitar stays in tune quite well. When I bought this guitar, a case, strap, and an amplifier were included (I bought it as a package).

Koloarie
    Some biased reviews if you ask me.. This definately isn't some kind of pro guitar. Due to my Ibanez GSA60 being repaired I borrowed this one and I have to say I like the Ibanez more. The ibanez' pickups have more tone clarity, these pickups can sometimes give a cluttered sound. I did though find that the tone knob is more responsive, but I've only used the tone knob on my ibanez a couple of times and that was a while ago so I can't really say if that's true. The neck on the ibanez is also faster to play, these frets have higher borders in comparison. It doesn't stay in tune too well either.. the ibanez does a (way) better job. This one's cheaper than the Ibanez though, so if you can't spend your money on a GSA60(I thought I saw there's a new type of it on their site..) buy this, but else take an Ibanez...
    morbidkid
    hats off to this guitar i had this for 5 years now and it is still useable. durability wise, this is better compared to squier guitars. but with regards to sound, it is not up to some pro guitarists' expectations but the playability is still good. like Koloarie said, I'll stick with ibanez.
    waitinonu49
    hmm. when i got this guitar for crhistmas i was really happy. now that ive had it for a few months i'm a little tired of it. the hardware is les than sturdy, and i dont think it will last to 2011. so im saving for an epi faded g-400.
    ArseniK92
    Mainer
    ArseniK92 wrote: I have an X10, and damn, none of these flaws have come to my attention. Used guitar much?
    I got mine for $189 and mine works great.
    Firkin L
    Ive had my x10 for 6 months now, and it had fret buzz when i got it. Careful adjustment of the truss rod sorted this (do your homework first). Plays fine now, no complaints. Good guitar for the money
    NexAtrum
    I bought mine from a pawn shop, lowly I know but 75 bucks was in my pocket. It was my first guitar ever and have been playing it for 7 months. So far the guitar coupled with my amp, which is small but packs one hell of an overdrive switch, it's gotten me through any song i've learned to play. Anywhere between 10 Years, and The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, and all genres between. The sound is hard to clean up, could be my amp, but overall it's a GREAT starter guitar for the price I got it. Stays in tune so long as I don't use the tremolo, and i've no use for. So i'm giving it all i've got.