X10 review by Washburn

Washburn: X10

Purchased from: Room2Rock

I haven't determined a style, but I compared my guitar with my cousin's ERG121C. My guitar sounds much fuller and brighter. His amplifier is complete rubbish. My amplifier sounds much brighter and the controls are more powerful and responsive. I can do "dive-bombs" with this thing. His guitar sucks in making noises. I was able to make every noise that was listed on the YouTube video "Herman Li guitar noises" except the ones that required a double locking vibrato. He wasn't able to produce the sounds fully. Excellent sound for a beginner's. His ERG121C, along with its amplifier, sounded so bad that we were joking about it, calling it a "dead bass."

I would like to learn funk and metal, maybe even classical. The guitar is promising to all of them. The bridge pickup is bright and powerful, and the neck pickup is clean and beautiful. Me and my cousin have bought our guitars only 2 weeks apart. I wish I had asked about other guitars they had, since they were selling a BC Rich Warbeast guitar for the same price. If it was stolen I could not get a chance to buy it again, but if I went back in time, I still would have chosen this over the Warbeast. I love everything about it. I hate only the fact that my input jack is loose because of my error. My favorite feature is the guitar being awesome. I compared it to an ERG121C and my guitar totally rocks more than it. I only wish I could change the pickups and add a new neck. That's right. I don't plan on buying a more expensive guitar, I only want to upgrade this beauty. One thing that really pisses me off is that they released the RX10 guitar shortly after I bought an X10. They are identical hardware-wise, but the RX10 has a cooler body shape and a cooler headstock shape. The RX10 also has a colored headstock.

The guitar seems very reliable. I took it to my friend's house with no trouble. If I ever learned to play well I would not be afraid to take it live. The hardware seems to last. The strap buttons are very solid. The finish seems invincible. I would use it on a gig without backup.

The guitar, surprisingly, was set up well. The electronics were perfect. The wood was great. Nothing was loose. It was much better set than my cousin's. The only problems I had was when my cousin "accidentally" banged his Ultra sharp ERG121C's headstock into my guitar's body. The paint suffered no damage. Just a small dent. Another problem is when I "accidentally" made the hole for the input jack's screw wider. I plan to fix it with wood filler. I suffered ZERO problems that were caused by the guitar. All the problems I had with this guitar were caused by me or my cousin's wrongdoing. The guitar in itself was perfect.

This guitar was made in 2009. Made in China. 24 frets, with a 25.5 scale. The neck is thin, awesome, and easy to play on. The neck is maple, the fretboard is rosewood, and the body is a light and comfortable basswood. The finish is a glossy black. It attracts some dust, but hey, IT'S BLACK. The guitar is shaped like the usual metal guitars(Jackson Soloist, Ibanez RG, etc.), without a pickguard. The bridge is a classic Stratocaster style. The electronics are passive. It has a tone knob and a volume knob, with a 5 way selector for the pickups. The pickups are in an HSS configuration. The tuners are Grover die cast ones. It came in a full package with a WA15G amplifier, also made in 2009(October, precisely.) The amp is 15 watts. It also had a gig bag. It had Allen keys for adjusting string height and a truss rod adjustment tool. The truss rod is modified near the body, from the beginning of the neck, not from the headstock as usual. It had a strap and a cable too. Not to forget the vibrato bar. And the 3 picks. I replaced the picks with PlanetWaves picks. I replaced the cable with PlanetWaves Custom series. The strap is now a DiMarzio camouflage colored one. I replaced the strings with the lightest gauge D'Addario strings the store had. Excellent features compared to other guitars.