X10 review by Washburn

Washburn: X10

Purchased from: dolphin music

I play METAL! Thrash metal, glam metal, NWOBHM. I don't play nu metal, grunge, Indie or any other rubbish like that. It is rubbish ok, don't argue. This guitar is the best guitar I have played for thrash rhythm, and I have played many including some costing up to six or seven times the price. I have even a Gibson Les Paul (but that was heavily modified and had shoddy pick ups for thrash so it's not a surprise this is better). The tone is really meaty and if you think you ARE James Hetfield or simply want to mimic his sound this guitar is fantastic. Obviously a 1000 ESP or Gibson Explorer would be much better but if your are considering buying this guitar I doubt you are comparing it to anything like a Gibson Explorer.

There was a long period of time, about six months, when I didn't play this guitar. I looked down on it and showed it neglect. Poor soul. When I picked this beauty up again I was FLABERGHASTED! I was also ashamed at my self for causing it to pick up dust. I even made a rude joke about it once. Fear not not I have been subsequently punished. I have many, many fond memories about this guitar and I hope it can say the same of me. Despite its (vast quantity) of flaws I still love this guitar. If you have ever seen top gear you'll know how they go on about alfa romeos being so good despite the poor build quality. Well its like that with this guitar. It falls apart on you and you become frustrated, but sooner or later you'll be playing run to the hills and it will feel and sound so good you'll forget also the bad feelings you had and the guitar will seem amazing again. Aww! How romantic.

This guitar has been through it all. Well... That's a slight, erm, huge over statement. But it has certainly had it rough. Which is a bad idea with this guitar, it's isn't built too well. The dials have came off, parts have came loose, the pick ups started farting. But to sort out the latter, simply have a stern word with it and and abuse its whammy bar. There was even one point at which parts were being held on by blue tack. That actually worked quite well and I advise it to anyone else who hasn't the means of professional help or equipment.

On the the other hand the guitar is truly woeful for leads. The neck is far too flat. The guitar isn't terribly versatile either.I'd happily choose any of my other guitars over this if didn't want to play thrash, which is often the case. -What section do I put tuning stability in. Who cares it's going here.- The tuning stability is below acceptable but not too far below it's alright if you don't use it all time time like I do but a year or two ago this was my only guitar and the tuning did become quite annoying at times, especially as for the first year of owning this guitar I wasn't very good at tuning by ear and thought that electric tuners were the stuff of Legend and never really existed and if they did they probably didn't work. The action is acceptable. It needed lowering but that's no big deal. In fear of repeating my self I say again that this guitar is fantastic for thrash metal. This time I am heralding its easy of play. With out thinking at all hard even the least talented guitar players could make a good riff (So it's ideal for grunge guitarists).

I bought this guitar three years ago. I bought it as a replacement for my very first which I had literally one day before it broke. I forget what make and model it was. It has 24 jumbo frets on a rosewood neck. The body is made of basswood and hosts two single coils and one humbucker. The body shape is a super Strat like you get with godins and ibanezs alike. The guitar has no scratch plate which is a good job for I can't see one looking good on it. It has two dials, one for volume and one for tone. The pick ups are controlled by a five way selector. So features wise there is nothing missing but neither are there too many frills.