X100 Review

manufacturer: Washburn date: 05/28/2015 category: Electric Guitars
Washburn: X100
It's a really good match for an average player who has been playing of some years and who wants a better guitar than a starter guitar, but doesn't want a Fender or a Gibson.
 8.8
 8.5
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
X100 Reviewed by: orioldarnes, on may 28, 2015

Price paid: € 300

Purchased from: Món Music Figueres

Features: The Washburn X100 is an electric guitar from 2006, made in Indonesia and from Washburn. It has 24 frets and a thin rosewood neck. It has jumbo frets and a solid top. The body it's made in Mahogany and it has a transparent finish. It's available in a total of 3 different colors: sea blue, metallic grey and black. The body style is Stratocaster body style and has a Tune-O-Matic bridge. It has two volume controls and a moving tone control. It has a 2-way selector too. The pickup configuration is 2 hambuckers. It has normal non-tuners and it doesn't include any kind of accessory. // 9

Sound: The sound in this guitar is excellent. I prefer hard rock and metal styles and for that, it's really good. But I also like playing some blues or funk songs and the guitar also sound very well. I use a Marshall MG-15 amp and for distortion a Boss Turbo Distortion DS-2 pedal. Sometimes it gets a little nosy but it's a minor problem, it has quite full sound but you can configure it for a brighter sound too. This guitar can afford a considerable variety of sounds, from metal or punk sounds up to blues or jazz solos. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar it's very well built. I haven't found any factory problem and I've never experienced a pickup failure. The pickups are very well adjusted to the body and the guitar is properly book matched on the top. The finish of this guitar is transparent and bright blue and as all the guitars with this finish it gets easily full of fingerprints or full of scratches. It fits really well in your lap and also it's very comfortable when you play standing. A problem with this guitar it's that if you rip the strings too hard they may move a little bit from the bridge and it will sound a bit weird. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've been playing this guitar for about 6 months and I think I will keep playing it for a very long time. The hardware seems it will last for a long time and the strap buttons are solid. You can really gig on this even if you play without a backup. The finish, as I mentioned before, is beautiful and it gives a really nice looking at the guitar but you will have to be very careful. The finish it's one of the best aspects in this guitar and I personally love it. The transparent finish and the dark brown neck gives the guitar a very special and personal-looking design. // 9

Overall Impression: In this guitar I've played all kinds of styles. From metal to blues and from funk to hard rock. I think it's a really good match for an average player who has been playing of some years and who wants a better guitar than a starter guitar, but doesn't want a Fender or a Gibson. I've been playing it for more than 6 months and I also own a Cort G110, an Alhambra Spanish guitar model 4-P and an MG15 Marshall amp. One thing I wish to be in this guitar is another pickup that is not a humbucker. I love the finish and the versatility of this guitar. My favourite feature is its Tune-O-Matic bridge and the finish. I compared this guitar with a lot of other products and I decided for this for its relation quality-price. // 10

Comments