X16 Anarchy Review

manufacturer: Washburn date: 05/16/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Washburn: X16 Anarchy
Two humbuckers combined with string-thru body design will give you endless tone and sustain for days. Anarchy graphics add to the in your face attitude.
 8.6
 8.8
 8.3
 3,377
review (1) 15 comments vote for this gear:
X16 Anarchy Reviewed by: tanay, on may 16, 2006

Purchased from: Bharat Music House

Features: Well, living in India, buying an imported Washburn was like a dream, but it got realized and I purchased The X16 from Wasburn - a limited series introduced by Washburn. The features are as follows: - Basswood body - Classic double cutaway - Bolt-on maple neck - Rosewood fingerboard with dot inlay - Gloss finish - Tune-O-Matic bridge - Chrome die-cast tuners - String-thru body - 2 humbucking pickups - Volume & tone control - 3-way toggle switch - Killer Anarchy graphics It had an included padded gig bag, came in top condition, with no factory defets, and to my surprise contained a handful of excellent quality plectrum. Strings: Vinci. The only thing I wish was added to this guitar would be a tremolo bar, which, sadly, it has no scope for. // 9

Sound: The guitar is, in two words, sonic devastation. I play mostly rock, grunge, metal, and it seems to be build designed exactly according to this genre. There is absolutely no hum, excellent sustain, gives a super sexy clean sound, and when rigged to my Stranger amp, a filthy distortion. The 3-way toggle switch with the two humbuckers gives me a great variety of tones. On the base enhancer, it gives an extremely deep and guttural sound, which is perhaps its speciality. Lack of a tremolo bar accounts fo me giving the sound an 8. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: There were absolutely no factory and setup errors, aside from a little scratch on the fretboard, which is hardly visible at a range. It has great action, and the green Anarchy bolt sets heads turning whenever its unsheathed, be it in a gig, or at my friends' place. The finish is excellent, but the only drawback is that it doesn't come with pickguard, and already has become quite scratched, although the scratches and not visible from more than 4, 5ft away. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've already had around five gigs, and it hasn't let me down. I have spoken to other people Who have purchased this guitar, and none of them have reported a breakdown as yet. The strap buttons are very solid and there is no chance of them popping out. I definitely use it without a backup, because of trust and financial restriction. Everything in this guitar is promising, and is expected to last for a long time. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar seems to complement my outgoind and aggressive personality, and hence, seems to be a match in heaven. I've been playing guitar for more that 4 years now, and have found this to be the best guitar I've had. I own a Stranger amp, with distortion effect (I know it pretty backward, but well, I live in India, and it's pretty respectable according to Indian standard). I it was stolen, I'd personally hunt down and kill the b--ch for depriving me of such an indispensible part of my life. If it was beyond any hope, I would go ahead and buy X16 again. I just wish it had two things more: a tremolo bar and a maple fingerboar for speed increasing. Otherwise, I've compared it to all the electric guitars in my town (well, almost all) and find Anarchy to thwart all the others, (which includes an Ibanez), visually and sonically. I recieved it at a discount too, from $400 to $200, do yourselves a favour guys, and always shop from SamAsh, and thus it has great value for money. Overall, a decision not regretted at all. // 10

Comments