X17 Review

manufacturer: Washburn date: 04/26/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Washburn: X17
With a slick look that commands respect, tone that'll slice through the mix, and an unbeatable price for a 7-string, the X17 makes for one value you can't miss. It starts with a basswood body that's done up in a gloss black, complete with matching headstock.
 5.7
 3.3
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
X17 Reviewed by: NorfIrIon, on april 26, 2008

Features: No clue when or where it was made. 24 frets, 25.5" scale, basswood body with a gloss black finish, black hardware, maple neck with a natural satin finish, super-Strat style, with a generic bridge and a string through body, generic passive pickups, 3-way selector, 1 tone and 1 volume knob, generic tuners, came with nothing but the guitar. And all the shredding power of a metal god. I guess. // 8

Sound: I'm a very eclectic person when it comes to the music I play, and I've yet to find anything this guitar doesn't pull off at least half-assedly, which is good enough for me at this price. I don't know why the community would really give a shit, but I'm running it through a Boss DD-6 pedal and a Roland Microcube, obviously the most metal and expensive and perfect set up of all time. It has a nice tone, no extra buzz or hum, but as said before, it doesn't do anything spectacularly, just everything equally as good or bad, which is, I guess, as good as it is bad. I'd say, for lack of a better word, it's neutral. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was great when I got it, when I got it set up it was even better, nothing wrong with that. The pickups were just where they belonged when I got it, no obvious defects except one: The volume knob is very loose and wiggles all over the damn place, sometimes I'll turn it and it will just turn around for a while. That's not good, of course, but it's not the end of the world. I hope. I'm sorry if my wiggly volume knob causes the end of the world, guys. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The guitar withstands Live playing as well as one could expect from a guitar such as this. Everything works as it's supposed to besides the volume knob. Not to say that I don't desire better pickups and tuners and all, but they do what they were made for. I shit-canned the strap buttons first day, so no telling how the original ones were. As if I had a choice, I'd gig with this without a back up. If I could get the other idiots I'm messing around with to commit. Anywho, the finish seems reasonable, I don't personally care about how long this particular finish lasts, I hate gloss black, but I dropped it once on a bottle, it broke the bottle and got chipped a little bit, so I guess you can decide if that's strong enough for you. // 9

Overall Impression: As said previously, I play just about anything you can think of, I've been playing plenty long and haven't owned very many guitars, but I've played enough to know that this guitar is just fine, especially for the price. I wish I had known, however, that I could've gotten a much better guitar (X37) for the same price. If it were lost or stolen, I'd go a long time without a guitar. I guess I'd go back and get the X37 if I had the same amount of money or something. It's a reasonable guitar for a reasonable price, it's not too glamorous or impressive in any way, just a guitar. If you want a good guitar for a good price, however, go get an X37. // 7

Comments