X20 review by Washburn

Washburn: X20

Purchased from: Music Maestro, my local music shop.

The sound is very good and versatile, I'm using a Roland Cube 30 as an amp right now and using the tone Switch you can really get loads of different tones out of your guitar. I moslty play metal/grunge type of music and the guitar is almost perfect for that kind of music. The acoustic and clean sound of the guitar also is very bright and pure. The only negative thing is that is buzzes awfully when the volume of the guitar is on maximum and you don't play, but that can be helped by turning off the volume of course or muting the strings.

This was my very first electric guitar, I bought it after I'd quit playing the classical guitar for almost five years. Hence I knew nothing about electric guitars, I bought this one just because it was the right coulour and shape and it was inside my price range. Now that I am much more familiar with electric guitars, I can say that I don't regret my purchase, alltough it isn't perfect. This is the best example. The guitar has a floating bridge, since I like do tune down my guitar this isn't such a good feature. First I only tuned my guitar into drop D so that didn't cause much of a problem, the guitar didn't get out of tune to hard. But then, I started to get into the more heavy rock and metal, so I tried to get my guitar into C-tuning in wich I failed awfully. But, with a little of creativety, I was able to fix the bridge, now I can tune my guitar however I want. Eventhough I'm quite satisfied about it, I wouldn't buy the same one if it were stolen, I would replace it with an Ibanez SZ320, because that one doesn't have a tremelo of course. Except for my old classical guitar, I don't own another one, but I recently bought an Ibanez RG7321 (7-string) and it should arrive from Japan within the next few days. Overall it's a good guitar, escpecially when you start playing.

This is a very sturdy guitar, only one thing got broke in the year and a half I've got my guitar, the plastic top of the tone Switch fell of, but with a bit of glue that was easely fixed. Except for some minor scratches the guitar doesn't show any sings of wearing out.

This guitar was well set-up when I bought it, the only thing I changed was putting thicker strings on it (but that isn't the factories fault) and I did something about the bridge too (more about that later).

Very good machine heads, the same quality as those from guitars that are much more expensive. It has 24 frets and that's definitely usefull. The neck is very smooth and thus very easy to play on. It has a floating brige (tremelo) wich might've been a little better. Tone and volume control and a five-way Switch. The coulour of the guitar is very dark gray (almost black).