X20 review by Washburn

Washburn: X20

Purchased from: Musicians Friend Outlet Store

The guitar has an alder body and maple neck with a rosewood fretboard and decent frets from the factory. It is set up with SSH, 5 way switch, tone and volume controls. The inside of the electronics cavity is shielded and the tremolo is grounded properly. It has a floating tremolo, which is THE down side to this guitar especially since it only comes with two springs from the factory. If you are going to use the trem, buy three more springs and make it stiffer, if you don't use the trem then lock it in place. I personally hate trems so I made a lock for it out of inch thick plastic. Even though I hate trems, this guitar was and is a great purchase.

The pickups on this guitar are nice, very nice. I play everything from classic rock, heavy metal, grunge, and some folk, blue-grass (ya, it really pisses off the rest of the band). The pickups can be down right nasty, gritty things or nice clean peachy little sound makers. The neck is not that bad, the action should be set a bit lower than you think it should. With that said, this neck is a bit picky if you don't have the bridge set right and/or the nut is off a little. Other than that, the guitar has the right sound for almost anything (I have yet to find something it cannot play, other than country, and that's more the player, myself, refusing).

I have owned this guitar for over 12 years. It looks great. The wood has not cracked, the paint has not faded. As long as you treat it right, this guitar should last. Washburn did a solid on this guitar. There are no problems with the fit or finish that I can find. The tuners are smooth and work like a baby's pinky finger. The pots are 500k with metal knobs and all the electronics are put together very well. The pickups are black and the whole guitar is shiny black with a nice little grey metal flake in it, makes one want to smash a squash like a drunk monkey in a suit of armor.

Reliability? Seriously? I had to shelve this guitar for a few years due to some issues that did not allow me to play. When I pulled it back out, I hooked it up to a tuner just for giggles to see how bad the tuning was, the strings were, etc... NOTHING was wrong. It was still in tune, the neck was still straight, and since I kept the climate controlled, the wood was still solid. Let me say it again, This guitar stayed IN TUNE for over 4 years! Yes, this is a solid guitar.

Washburn did us a favor making this guitar, and pricing it so cheap. I love it, mostly. I hate the floating trem, it's nothing against this one in particular, I hate ALL floating trems. The only reason I chose this guitar in the first place is because it was a special that Musician's Friend had at their outlet store in KC. Am I glad I picked this particular guitar? Heck yeah! I would buy this one again if the price were right. It is a great guitar for the money.