X30 review by Washburn

Washburn: X30

Purchased from: Rock Steady Music Harrogate

I generally play rock, metal, classic rock, ska, funk not neccessarily in that order. This guitar can handle them all well, as the pickups can be tapped so you can change them from single coils to humbuckers by pulling up the tone pot. The tone pot when turned also changes the sound a lot from a birght ska like tone to a deep metal tone with both humbuckers. I use it with my Marshall MG30DFX and after fiddling with the settings on that can get some very nice sounds.

It matches my styles of music well and is much better than my other guitar Squier Strat. If it were lost or stolen and I couldn't get it back I'd either buy it again or maybe buy a Mexican Tele I was really impressed by that guitar as well. My favourite feature is the neck so smoooth and thin. Just a really nice guitar overrall.

This guitar will definitely withstand live playing, great hardware especially the tuners all very tough. Strap buttons are very solid. I wouldn't gig without a backup never know when a string will break. The finish seems very nice too and doesn't weare off.

The guitar was set up OK at the factory but does have a little Buzz on the 6th and 5th strings, but it's hardly noticeable when you whack on the distortion. The pickups were adjusted fine and the bridge seems to be routed well. The nut was a little badly cut on the 6th and 5th strings which is what I think causes the buzz which I was annoyed about but I just try not to listen for the buzz now as I used to.

Washburn X30 made in Korea. Not sure of the date but I think it's this year. It has 24 frets on very thin beautiful neck that just begs to be played. It has a body contour so it's easy to play and where the neck joins the body it's contoured as well for great fret acces. The guitar is also very light. I think the neck wood is Maple and the fingerboard is Rosewood. It has Grover tuners! I didn't expect these for the money and they keep the guitar in tune all the time. It is a HardTail string, thru bridge so there's no messing around with a trem for changing tunings, strings etc.