X30 review by Washburn

Washburn: X30

Price paid: A$ 500

Purchased from: Main Line Music

This guitar is very versatile with it's sound, it suits every style of music. I play alternative rock and it has the dark deep distorted sound I lust for being in a one guitar band. I think this guitar is aimed more at the metal market but it really does cover every genre you throw at it. I run this through a Vox AC50 Head through a long effects chain. This sounds at it's best when I push the amps tube's with my Marshall Shredmaster. It really cut's through the mix on all settings. It is never noisey and gives a full sound when using the humbucker mode, slightly Strat like in the bridge pick up.

I play alternative rock (ala Pixies, Straitjacket Fits, Sonic Youth) and this guitar suits it. My hollow body replaced this as my main stage guitar in mostly for it's looks, it doesn't sound or play quite as good as this to be honest, but the Washburn is always at every gig still and gets a few songs, particularly lately as I've been writing in C Standard. I've been playing 5 years and own a lot of gear, Fender Strat, Epiphone Supernova and Ibanez ORM-1 are my notable electrics, but I often borrow my drummers Gibson gold top at practice. This competes with the Gibson. If stolen I would definitely seek another, but I got this at a third of the rrp so I doubt I would find one again that cheap and in that finish (I haven't seen anyone else with it in person, only in pics?) It is perfect for everyone from beginner to advanced muso's.

This guitar can take abuse! I use to baby it but then it fell off my rack and got a big chunk come out of the back so I stopped treatiing it like a diamond. Now it's my work horse, neck bends and all, she's still going! The hardware is still going strong, I don't see it ever needing replacement. The stock strap buttons were good but I just put Strap locks on it anyway. I do depend on this guitar, but I always have a spare guitar or two with me at a gig as I am a heavy chugger of a guitar and use different tunings. This use to be my main guitar in E but now I keep it in C and leave my hollow body in E as my main guitar for the natural sustain. I have spent hundreds of hours playing this thing in the last 4 years and the only real damage it got was from trying to treat it to well, it will get scuffs, but it's part of the character.

The factory set up was okay, but the strings were ass. I was still new to playing when I got this so it didn't really matter until I got into a band and got the action lowered and the intonation sorted. The intonation use to get of whack when the strings were about 3 weeks old so was hard to play sometimes. The action is really cool, it's like a metallic sunburst (Think Tool's guitar colour or Brent from Mastodon's guitar). Picks up scratches quite easy, but I am a very aggressive in my playing so it doesn't bother me. The paint comes off a little easy on the side though!

The Washburn X30 has some very nice features, and is very simple. 2006 make, Made in Korea. 24 Frets on a beautiful rosewood fretboard, slim taper neck. It is a bolt on neck joint. Very good Grover tuners and Head Hunter pick ups which I have not bothered to replace because they already sound quite good. It is a Strat style body with a little bit of a Les Paul twist. String through body Tune-O-Matic. One tone control, One volume control and a three way pick up selector. Replaced the stock strap holders with Dunlop strap locks today because I go a little bit crazy on stage but the originals were very good for stock. It came with a decent gig bag but I only use hard cases so it sits there collecting dust under my bed. This baby leaves nothing to be desired.

lordi20
    this guitar can do anything,and very durable. sounds a lot more than the price