X50 review by Washburn

Washburn: X50

Purchased from: Rubino's Music

It's very versatile from metal to blues. I'd lean toward more rock though. I play through a Ibanez Tube Screamer, Boss Flanger, and Boss Chorus. The stock pickups are fine for jamming in your basement, but might need to be replaced for live gigging. But than stock would do just fine. It has absolutely no feedback and has full distorted tones. It's just as deep as any Les Paul I've played. The sound is crisp even through distorted soloing and every note rings. Other than the pickups for serious live shows, it's perfect.

I have had no complaints with this guitar. I've been playing for 3 years now and own another Washburn acoustic since they are very popular around where I live near Chicago (Washburn headquarters). If it was lost or stolen, I would be heartbroken since I don't know where I would get another one since they are discontinued. I would definitely get another Washburn however. I love the neck-thru body and the finish. It really sticks out from other guitars at this price. It almost looks identical to the Fender Showmaster flame maple top in cherry sunburst. I was lucky to get it 420 since I looked up the retail at 800 dollars. I just wish it had some Seymour Duncan pickups. That's the only thing.

I've had this guitar for 2 years now and I havent had any problems I dropped it a couple of times and it didn't even go outta tune. I didn't need straplocks with this guitar which I found surprising when it took me 15 minutes just to get a strap on. Which is worth the time and saving money on straplocks. I've played some gigs infront of a lot of people with this guitar and itl always be my # 1. It's the only electric I own. I plan on getting a really cheap guitar to back it up but dont intend on using it. Only in case of emergency. I have seen no wear on the guitar. Only some buckle rash on the back, which is my fault. But I can tell this guitar will last.

When I first got the guitar, I can tell it wasn't taken care of at the shop. It was strung wrong and had defective strings. I got that fixed and I never put it down. The pickups were perfectly adjusted. The action was a tad high but I adjusted that within 2 minutes. I haven't had any fret buzz or any loose or defective hardware. The pickup selector Switch can easily be noticed when switching from heavy to light which I like for palm muting and riffs.

Made in 2002, I don't know many people who own it but it is the same as the X50PRO except with Washburn pickups. Made in Korea. 21 frets I like the neck which is slim and smooth. Easily to slide from nick to low on the neck. It's perfect for punk/emo music and even can cover for metal. The paint job is cherry sunburst flame maple. I've gotten many compliments that it looks just as good as some PRS guitars which as you know are much more money. The thing I like about this guitar is it has the Buzz Feiten tuning system which I only have to tune the guitar about every 2 months. Overall it's the best guitar I have played at its price.