X50 review by Washburn

Washburn: X50

Purchased from: Brookdale Music

I play the span of the sixties. And the span of the sixties had British, blues, jazz, rock, and new technique influences. I play a lot of styles and a lot of different ways. This guitar covers it all. I use it with A Fender FM 212 DSP amp. It sounds great. But, playing at lessons, church, school all have different amps, and it's fine with all of them. Some more expensive (school) and some small practice amps (church). I also own a Brian Moore 81.13, and the X-50 is a match for it. It bends perfectly, slides noiselessly, and you can make the transition from barr chord to barr chord without that awful scratching noise. The guitar has two humbucking pickups, but the gain knob pulls out slightly to kill half of a humbucker, giving you a humbucker and a single coil. Just pull it out when you want it, the push it back in.

I have beeen playing for eight years, so I know what I like in a guitar, and the Washburn X-50 is as close to a perfect match as I will ever find. I also own a Brian Moore 81.13, Roland GR-20 guitar synth, DigiTech GNX3, along with a Martin acoustic, Alvarez acoustic, and two Washburn acoustics. I only mention the acoustics because there are two Washburns there, so it shows that I trust Washburn instruments. I also own a Washburn mandolin, so in short, they have my business for life. If stolen, I would probobly replace it with the upgraded X-50, simply because thay don't make X-50 anymore, and the upgrade has all of the same features, plus more. I love the two humbucker pickup or humbucker pickup and sindle coil Switch on the guitar. I am only a little upset with the pickups not being as sturdy for the money as I had hoped, but overall, it is a wonderful instrument.

This guitar will probobly out last me. I would (and do) go on gigs without a back up, with the exception of the Brian Moore, only because it is compatable with my synth. I have owned this guitar for five years, and it has pulled through great. I have one problom with it though: when you play and your pick hits the humbuckers, it scratches almost immediately. For such expensive tuners, I would think that the pickups would be a little sturdier.

I cannot rate the set-up, because I got it from a music store where it was out in the open foe a while with most of the other guitars. Anything that was wrong at the factory, they would have fixed long before the guitar was put out on display. But I know that they put it out the day thay got it, so it couldn't be that bad.

2000 guitar. Made in Korea in a US Washburn shop. It has 24 frets, joined at the 19 on top, but cut-away all on the bottom for easy acces to all 24. Maple neck on a Rosewood fingerboard. Solid Mahogony Body. Quilted top. String-thru body. One volume, one gain, and one three-way Switch. Buzz Feiten tuning system with 18:1 ratio Grover tuners. Came with it's own hard-case. Good price for all of that.

Sudaka
    since it has the coil tap, this guitar is very versatile, but... if i replace it's pickups, would the coil tap stil work? should i get pickups that are specially made for a coil tapper?