X50PRO review by Washburn

Washburn: X50PRO

Purchased from: Ebay

The first thing that hits you with this guitar is the tone, it simply swells out of the amp (even my lowly Fender practice box). From the moment I played the first notes, I knew I was smitten. There is no buzz on any of the frets and the sustain is superb. Plugging it through my Zoom 707 II turns it into an even more versatile instrument. The only problem seems to be that it has too much power for my current settings and I'm going to have to spend some serious time in adjusting to it.

The X50PRO can adapt to everything I am playing at the moment (Texas to Green Day). The Buzz Feiten tuning system really does make a difference. Even with my electronic tuner, there was always a slight difficulty with the perfect sound, but now I don't have that problem. I looked at a Jackson and a Hamer before settling on the Washburn and to my mind, these don't hold a candle to the X50PRO.

This is going to be my new gig guitar and I know I can trust it to keep me going through the whole show. The body finish does tend to show up the fingermarks, but this shouldn't be major problem.

The action is perfect. Not too low, but easy and ultimately playable. For a second-hand machine, it is in superb condition and the hardware is setup for the perfect sound.

This is a USA built model that came to me via the original owner in Northern Ireland. It has a Rosewood 25 fret neck with a classy blue finish on the body. It has a string-thru body with volume and tone control and a 3-way pick up selector. There is a Seymour Duncan 59 re-issue on the neck and a SD Custom-Custom on the bridge with the Buzz Feiten tuning system included as standard.