X50PROFE review by Washburn

Washburn: X50PROFE

Purchased from: Random dude in OLX-Panama

As is:
* 2007 made in Indonesia.
* Mahogany Body
* Nut width: 43mm
* X50PRO FE Active Pickups:
o EMG81 neck
o EMG85 bridge
-Pickup configuration swapped when purchased (sounds better with the 81 on the bridge)
* 3-way toggle switch
* 1 volume, 1 tone
* Exclusive Grover 18:1 gear ratio tuners
* Gloss finish
* Buzz Feiten Tuning System
* Gig bag
+1 Hardwire Overdrive Pedal for free.

My mods:
* Seymour Duncan Passive Pickups:
o Pearly Gates neck, with 1meg pot
o Full Shred bridge, with split coil 500k pot
* Rewired for 2 volumes
* Straplocks

Though I modded it, it still sounded great. EMG pickups sound tight, and clean. Too clean for my taste. Plus I inevitable mess with everything I buy, so actives don't do it for me cause of that. The battery thing is only an issue if you leave the input jack plugged in after you play (closes the connection). It's a VERY resonant guitar. Tapping harmonics gotta be played extra neat to not get other unwanted sounds. Think of the harmonics that play during Van Halen's "Dance the Night Away" tapping harmonics during the chorus.

Have played it through Marshall JCM800, Fender Champion 100, Fender Mustang III V2, Mustang Mini, Peavey Bandit 112. Great in all those amps and others I can't remember. Usually play hard rock, thrash metal, oldies, punk, oi!, etc. Playing on clean settings is fantastic, everything sounds so smooth and balanced. Sustain is fantastic on this guitar. I don't know how to explain it, but it's just a real mature sounding guitar. Rate it an 8 cause I had to mod it to fit what I do. Wish it was a tad bit brighter. And the tapping harmonics thing. If I were broke, and couldn't mod, I would still like the sound a lot.

When bought I just had to use contact cleaner to clean the input jack socket. Other than those 2 minutes, and adjusting the bridge height a tad, everything else was solidly in place (guy I bought it from just had it laying around), not a loose screw or unwanted sound or scratch. Frets impeccably in place. One of the smoothest Rosewoods I've played on. It's fairly light, which is a mega plus. Set neck feels spectacular, hitting height notes is a breeze. Would of loved it straight from the factory. Not a huge fan of the cardstock, but I can't deny it's growing on me. Gets a 10 cause the boys at Washburn did a flawless job. There is literally nothing out of place.

Hell yeah it could stand live playing. Hardware has been solid so far. Nothing seems to be cheap on this guitar. Very well thought out guitar with a lot of detail in mind. Strap buttons are solid and elegant. I trust them, but I don't trust myself, so straplocks it is. I heavily reviewed this guitar before I purchased it, and out of habit still do from time to time, and it really lives up to the favorable reviews. This guitar is straight up my best purchase ever. I would recommend this guitar to anyone in a heartbeat. Anyone that played it has loved it. Washburn really won me over with this guitar, I'll probably buy another Washburn in the future thanks to the impression this one left on me.

Suits metal, rock, and pretty much any style that doesn't require extremely bright sounds, like reggae. For what I play, this guitar is perfect, everything feels so smooth and solid in place that it gives me extra confidence to play it. Down to the volume knob location, out of the way, where it sound be. One minor chance would be for inlays, nothing fancy, just something to help on the eyes. Though it's visually gorgeous as is, I tend to look down on the fretboard quite a bit. If it ever got stolen, I'd be immensely upset. Gig bag is awesome cause it's got mad room.