XM-STD2 review by Washburn

Washburn: XM-STD2

Purchased from: eBay

2014 XMSTD2TNG (tangerine is the TNG) basswood with maple and rosewood neck; 2 passive Alnico H102 model Duncan USM pickups; 4 conductor available and coil tappable if you have a luthier or skills. 1 vol, 1 tone, small pots and 3-way box switch. LP type bridge and 6 in-line tuners on headstock top. Trussrod wrench and cheap 1/4" cable. Listed as having a double trussrod, but there is a singe trussrod nut. No case or strap. Neck is clear satin and the body is nice gloss and not too thick. Body style is double horn like a lot of Schecters.

Into a clean Fender Silverface '73 Princeton Reverb *(upgraded speaker and bigger power supply for headroom), it sounds good. Not great and the bridge is trebly, which can be helped by replacing the tone cap with .047 value. Rated "8" because it is versatile to cover a lot of styles. Remember: $126 new with tiny defects. Bolt on with 4 offset screws. It responds well to nail playing even with the action at nearly no neck relief. Bridge: fairly strong and on the trebly side. Neck: Somewhat bluesy and PAF character. Both have good "detail" and the bass is a bit muddy, but not bad.

Setup was passable and nut slots needed help on 2 strings. Too much relief, likely to stop rattling on several loose frets (not glued down well). Fixed easily. The finish was nearly perfect in all areas and the feel of the neck is nice and design features are good (rear of horn for neck strap button, black felt washers, offset small marker dots, good fretboard to neck joint. Remarkable for so cheap! Neck pocket was very clean and the cavity is neat, HBs wired with no coil tap, but easily changed over to push/pull.

This is a bolt-on neck in maple with a scarf joint (like cheap Jacksons) and rosewood or similar fretboard. Good finishing and it's a plenty sturdy guitar. Not cheaply made or shoddy in any area. It's a Washburn and they do have standards to uphold as pretty good guitars. The hardware is nice, but ordinary and the nut is "Nubone" (harder than Tusq and made from offcuts to black Tusq saddle production). Nubone cuts well for nut slots and files well for sharp corners... better than white plastic or Delrin. Sometimes you take an interest in a guitar for its design (I wanted a rock and roll guitar to take a flat fretboard, low action, looks sharp and sounds good over driven and is cheap. This is it!

Over all? Easily a "9"... because of the obvious: $126 in physically new condition and about $30 for a basic setup adjustment would give you a very nice beginner axe that can be a stage guitar for a lot of guys. Tangerine metallic body appeals to women so award 1/2 point for "chick magnet appeal." It's not a cheap and shoddy guitar. Both humbuckers can be coil tapped and they are the oens in the Washburn RX50, which arrives already tapped... and it's nice! At another 40-50, looks close at a Jackson JS32RT with quite nice humbuckers and a better over-all package in a different style guitar.

jinsu2301
    you shouldn't take price into consideration unless you get to the overall impression. Overwise it gives of the impression that you gave such a high score just based on the price point. "Not cheaply made or shoddy in any area" he says after fixing loose frets
    doug.henninger
    Price is the fundamental thing that allows us to compare guitars. Most guys and especially musicians are aware of price. To ignore it for ordinary factory guitars is foolish. The frets that needed to be seated and glued securely was done by a repair guy for maybe $20. Take whatever 'impression' you want. You made it up and I didn't suggest anything.
    ShotgunZombie
    I have one of these in black with a Floyd. Pretty damn decent axe imo, and a hell of an upgrade from my old Squire Stagemaster that I started on aeons afore. Pretty happy with it tbh, though I do have one issue. True to the idiot that I am, I managed to strip the threads in the locking nut. I'm ready to source a replacement,but I have absolutely no clue what the fretboard radius is. Does anyone have one that can tell me? Or should I just figure it out the hard way?
    doug.henninger
    the fretboard radius is simple to learn with a radius gauge. Ask amy repair guy to check it.... for free. Or look it up when you find the detailed specs for this guitar.
    Robthefingers
    I have a washburn XMSTD2PRD very pleased with after some tinkering ,but this is the case on most Axes. I think this guitar represents exceptional good value for your hard earnts and great to play much better than some of the nasties I purchased 30 years ago
    Wiencon
    It was my first guitar, brilliant for its price. In many aspects it's perfect for me, weight, neck etc. Sound is very good, I like to tune to C and it handles this tuning flawlessly. I play mostly metal and hard rock through my Mustang II and I'm very satisfied, as for this price it's a steal.
    Metallichemical
    Looks like a steal! Wouldn't mind having one now...
    Wiencon
    It is! I have 4 friends who has STD2 and one with DLX2 and everybody loves them, I really don't understand why this company is so under radar as it's much better than 100-200$ more expensive competition.