Acryl-o-Paul review by Wesley

Wesley: Acryl-o-Paul

Purchased from: ebay

It suits me well, the main problem I had with the old guitar was that when you reached the higher frets (5+) it became quite tinny even on the the neck pickup (this was an S-S-S). No such problem, smooth and mellow all the way up. I generally play alot of metal and blues and I generally go for a bassier distorted sound which this does quite well. Although if you want a bright tone I suggest you look elsewhere as even on the bridge this thing maintains the warm, mellow bassy tones.

Overall, pretty impressed. Been playing for a year, only got serious like eight months back and even then I've only been looking into tone recently at which point I realised I needed some variety. I play it through my Laney LX12, 10volt amp which is alright until you crank the crunch up to eleven and which point it sounds like soggy cereal, but that's not the guitars fault. If it were stolen I'd be annoyed and it would take a long hard while for me to think about buying another one but it's not certain either way. I love the look and hate that it's probably not permanent. It was ebay though and I took what I could get for such a bargain price. I wish it had a pickguard because I will lose sleep at night thinking of the scratch marks.

It will probably not withstand any serious beating and a backup at this point is pure common sense. I don't trust the strap buttons at all as this is a seven kilo guitar and I've had problems with my Strat's buttons and that weighs easily half as much. I don't see this guitar standing the test of time well, and it does worry me that what happened at the back might transfer to the front due to a lack of pickguard.

Played like a dream out of the protective packaging, sure it needed a quick tune but that was about it. One quick note is that the back was scratched up something scary. Probably just a belt buckle or something scuffing it as the previous owner played but it was definitely noticeable. But probably only if you play the guitar. I've covered the pickup issues previously.

No idea what year it was ade but all the smart money says it was made in the far East probably China. 22 frets on a rosewood neck, nothing mind-blowing to be honest all the I was pleased with the neck. The profile is a lot more comfortable and a lot easier to use than the neck on my Strat-copy. No finish or body wood because it's acrylic. No idea on the neckwood because the manufacturer appears to be deliberately ambiguous. Modified Les Paul body shape, like a normal Les Paul only with wider 'hips' and a thinner 'bust'. Tune-O-Matic bridge no obvious faults there and all the electronics are passive, one thing to note is my model had a distinct earthing problem the neck pickup would hum if the tone wasn't all the way up and the bridge pickup would hum if the volume wasn't all the way up. Not sure if this is a manufacturer problem or the seller tinkering around with it, doesn't really annoy me too much even though they are, 'humbuckers'; the clue's in the title really. H-H pickup configuration, mainly the reason I bought it. No accessories as it was second hand.

LeakyFlask
    Love the idea of a transparent guitar, if only for the novelty value. Turned off by the weight of it, though!
    Reptilianriff
    I'm pretty sure it wouldn't weigh 7 kilos if it was made of plastic...
    Alexis15
    I have one of this guitars but is yellow and have chords green fluorescent
    Rorok_89
    EpiExplorer wrote: Reptilianriff wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: xharass_natox wrote: I don't understand what you mean by "I love the look and hate that it's probably not permanent." ? Its a cheap, plastic guitar. Most cheap plastic things break fairly early/easily. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't weigh 7 kilos if it was made of plastic... Have you ever lifted one of these things? Its ridiculously heavy, no sane person would play it live and then not have a back problem.
    Well I'd sure give it a go. I'm used to my LP studio which is quite heavy (it's the first thing anyone notices when first picking it up), not so much as 7 kilos but it'd be cool to play the fool with this at a gig
    sickassfoo
    ive been looking into these and the only ones that look awesome are flying v's
    seasiders
    got a blue verison of this, looks cool buts thats about it really and it weighs a ton!
    K Reyn
    Dude that is so awesome! The guys in Brownsville Station used to play guitars like that.
    Olliecs
    I play an acrylic strat live for knocking about a bit, switched the pickups and a few other bits though to get a reasonable sound out of it but i don't reckon i could break it if i tried
    ULTIMATELY_MAD
    great looking guitar, but thats basically it. its not too good to play, and mics could really be better. works as a first guitar.
    Dave Frenzy
    are there any pictures of the full guitar? cant seem to find any on google either. would like one though. seems to stand out alot from other guitars and its a fair price aswell
    creepychris
    i have this exact model, if you would like some pics, i can send you some through email if you like
    danye42
    ive got one in yellow!! my first guitar got off ebay whilst i was still a guitaring noob, plays like a piece of s*** but looks pretty awesome on the wall, not to bad as a starting guitar
    EpiExplorer
    Dingle87 wrote: @ EpiExplorer I agree with you if the bodt was hollow but this is solid acrylic hense why its heavy as hell and it would take more than a drop or a bang to break this. fair enough it scratches very easily but it will be harder to get a ding out of this than a wooden guitar.
    Plastic is brittle, the more dense it gets, theres a greater chance of it splitting apart, especially acrylic glass. All to do with energy transferance, blah de blah, but think of it as this scenario: My BC Rich is made of a light wood, not particularly sturdy either, but I knocked it (accidently but fairly strongly) against the wall and a tiny chip was knocked off the end of one of the V points. If the same force had been applied to an acrylic guitar, it would have had either a much more noticeable (probably bigger) breakoff or maybe even a crack.
    captainsnazz
    I have a five string bass like this. It is actually awesome and it is very heavy for a guitar. And to the guy that said they're hard to break, I found a crack in the back of mine and I have no idea how it got there. Currently looking for something to fix it with :|
    Dingle87
    Dingle87
    I have this guitar also, i also bought it from ebay for 90 but it was brand new. Great guitar, looks the bees knees, typical les paul shape but heavy as hell. The neck is fat and wide not your usual les paul style neck more of a fender neck. Pick ups are wilkinson humbuckers, which to be honest for the price of them sound reasonable, wiring is the same as a les paul, its a great novelty guitar, ok for home practice but i wouldnt play at a gig, no way.
    bass-man9712
    I'v played a transparent guitar before and i find it to be just a novelty, they are really awesome don't get me wrong but for practical use in gigs they're kinda useless. Way too heavy to be comfortable to use.
    xharass_natox
    DanTheHobbit
    This isn't a comment for the reviewer but those who run the site: Are copy editors that difficult to enlist? I offer myself.
    tntero
    tntero wrote: hey, im interested in a guitar like that, do you have a link from ebay or something? i can only find their website but they sell the guitars there for 129 british pounds, a lot more than 50$ xD
    oh sorry for that comment, i didnt notice you bought it used... xD anyway, if i could get a deal like that i would buy it and mod it to make a sustainer, they say that acrylic guitaras sustain's sucks because theyre not made of wood
    tntero
    EpiExplorer
    My old guitar teacher had one for the lulz. Didn't sound very great, but this sort of thing would do Ibanez a favour to itself, especially for tinkering with electronics, goddamn complicated bridges..