EX100OS review by Wesley

Wesley: EX100OS

Purchased from: Wesleyguitars.co.uk

The humbuckers, while not the fattest/brightest I've ever heard, are still more than adequate. The weak points in the overall sound are the tone pots, a bit all or nothing in use, you really need to keep them fully open. More importantly to me, played thro' my cheap and cheerful DigiTech RP50 and Roland Microcube, the humbuckers are silent, no matter how much distortion I use to record to my sequencer/PC.

I just wanted a third electric guitar to offer me something different (playability/sound wise) to my other two, and this guitar certainly gives that. This is yet another example of just how good Wesley guitars are in relation to the cost. The list price is 179 (and is well worth that) but I got mine via Wesleys ebay auctions for 70.68, a stunning bargain. If anyone reading this has ever wanted a 'budget' big body jazz type guitar, this model would be ideal. It's by no stretch of the imagination a Gibson D series killer, but you'll get a hell of a lot of guitar for your money. Highly recmmended.

I've not had it long enough to form a definite opinion on durability. My only concern would be the weight, it's a real lightweight, I've owned heavier acoustics.

The setup was excellent out of the box, a low action with a couple of fret buzzes, but nothing the wasn't easily fixed. Both pickups were correctly adjusted. No obvious flaws, the finish is good and the hardware seems well made and fitted. Not for the first time on a guitar, I found the nut set too high for my taste, but it was easily adjusted.

Not sure of year/place of manufacture, but I'd guess at 2005/China. Based on the old Gibson D-series jazz guitars, this model has a 20 (medium) fret hard maple set neck, rosewood fretboard with block markers, a 10.5 cm depth hollow hardwood body finished in sunburst (they call it heritageburst) with 2 bound f-holes. The bridge is a freestanding tunomatic type with a Harp tailpiece. 2 passive humbuckers (unknown make) 2 each of volume and tone pot, with a three way selector. Non-locking closed Die-cast tuners (unknown brand). As usual with Wesley guitars, it came supplied with jack to jack cable and a truss rod key.