EX100OS review by Wesley

Wesley: EX100OS

Purchased from: eBay - WesleyGuitars

I play various styles, mostly acoustic/rockabilly, and this guitar suits them all perfectly, you could even pull off a metal/grunge song with it's beefy humbuckers, which is a rare spectacle in an Archtop-Semi. I've played it through a Line6 Spider II combo, and it sounds great on all settings, everything from the "insane" setting to the "clean" setting with a lot of reverb sounds perfect. No feedback from guitar running through a Danelectro Fab-Tone, or even through a POD 2.0 with the noisegate switched off and the gain on full, Wesley have really outdone themselves on the sound of this guitar, it looks great and the sound suits any style imaginable. Also sounds great without an amp, better than my Ibanez acoustic by a long shot.

I've been playing since I was 7 (9 years) and can honestly say this is the second best guitar I've ever played (The best being my Ibanez SZ720) I've tried a few of my friend's Archtops, and can also honestly say I prefer this guitar to any of their's by a long shot. I have also tried top-range semi-acoustics and can say that for this outstanding price, this guitar matches up, and generously overtakes the competition. I own an Ibanez SZ720, an Ibanez Vintage acoustic (I have no idea of the model number, I purchased it as a project from a charity shop and repaired it myself, apparently it's worth alot, somewhere in the thousands), A Fender Showmaster, a Squier Telecaster, an Encore Strat copy, and a puretone electro-acoustic. I can honestly say this guitar comes in seconds place only to my SZ720 which is possibly the best guitar I've ever played. I also own a Peavey 45watt practice amp, a 75watt Line6 spider II combo, a crybaby-wah, a POD 2.0, a Danelectro fab-tone, a Danelectro fab-chorus, and a line6 tone-port for direct to pc recording. I can safely say this Wesley Archtop plays perfectly through all this gear, and if you own any of the above, you wont be disappointed with the tone this guitar puts out through them.

I can see this guitar standing up well at a gig, but as with any guitar only costing 100 quid, Who really cares how long the hardwares going to last? The way I see it, if this guitar lasts over a year, I'll be happy and think I paid a good price for a quality instrument, and I would definitely buy another, but with that said, this guitar will probably last me a lifetime. The finish seems to be good quality too, and wont seem to deteriorate over time.

Only two very minor criticisms on this guitar, one is that the fret-buzz became rather annoying, but I discovered this to be the fault of the bride, and simply re-aligned the bridge (just pushed it back a few mm) and it was perfect. Another is that the wood seems to be very well made, but very fragile, I would not leave this guitar out of it's case for too long because I'm quite clumsy when it comes to expensive objects. I'm yet to have this guitar serviced by a licensed professional, but I can pretty much guarantee that there was no faults on this guitar at the time of receipt.

Assumes made in the UK, archtop (ashtop) with "heritage burst" finish. Hard maple neck hardwood body, 10.5 cm depth. 20 fret rosewood fingerboard. Dual humbucker pickups. Die-cast chrome machine heads. Chrome hardware. Included 2.5m cable. 3-way selector switch, 4 controls: 2 volume, 2 tone.

RHCPFAN96
    i was wonderin... shud i get one or should i save up another 100 quid or so for a washburn j3?
    RHCPFAN96
    and is it acoustic so u can play it unplugged and it has the same volume as an acoustic
    GaryBillington
    I was going to do a review of this guitar, but having read the reviews that have already been done, I have nothing to add. It took a bit of work to get the setup right when it was first delivered, but once that was done it's an awesome guitar for the price. I paid 92 on ebay, and it was probably the best 92 I've spent. It's one of the most versatile guitars I own, it sounds great on both pickups whether distorted or clean and looks good too. The best thing I can say about it? It was such a good buy, I've since bought a second Wesley guitar (their version of a superstrat), and may get a third if/when I find someone selling the PRS copy they've made in the past - unfortunately they don't make this one anymore so I can't buy it new.