Tupelo Review

manufacturer: Wesley date: 02/22/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Wesley: Tupelo
You pay around £130 for something worth around £300 just because you've never heard of Wesley. With its beautiful body and no-nonesense, simple pickups this ill-branded bargain is the perfect ultra-affordable alternative to the Gibson ES-335.
 8.3
 8.6
 2,837
review (1) pictures (4) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Tupelo Reviewed by: wilfamis, on february 22, 2013

Purchased from: eBay

Features: This guitar is certainly sturdy enough. There is one major scratch but all the components have remained intact since I got it a year or two ago. It has a bridge (of course) but I mean violin style. There are two pickups which you can level separately (always useful for solos and whatnot). One of the tuning keys/pegs is a bit dodgy. It always feels like it could break but I think that's just me being paranoid. It has 22 frets. I'd like to have 22 but beggars can't be choosers. The other thing this guitar would benefit from is a tremolo (or whammy bar as Americans seem to call it). All in all simple, functional but ultimately successful features. // 7

Sound: This blues guitar is great for something B.B. King styled. The tone levels on the body make a real difference to whether you want a jazz guitar sound (which works nicely) or a twangy pop sound. Somewhere in between (and whilst using the treble pickup) is a somewhat near-perfect blues sound - with the BB King look to complete it. And yet - oh and yet - do I use it for blues? Not very often. I play a load of genres- works well with jazz. I mainly play Alternative (Indie Rock) in a band. It's great for building up. It's all about he downstrum on this guitar - lots of them in a row. Because it's hollow, you get a fair bit of acoustics without an amp which is useful for practising alone. Mainly, however, this sounds like the amp and effects you use. Which for me - is which ever amp is there, a Behringer Ultra Feedbacker and an EBow. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: It looks very elegant and ES-335 like. It was nicely set up. The action to this hasn't needed changing. It is the ideal height. The finish on mine is, in true Clapton-style, red. It is glazed (if that's the right word) very nicely. The F-holes are very elegantly cut and there is a border outlining the shape of the guitar itself (which includes a cutaway on both sides). The body doesn't seem to heavy but the wood is still strong (an important point for a hollow guitar). None of the metal was rusted or bent and all of the paint work is intact apart from: "In the first week of having it I left it propped up against a table at a gig and it fell over (or something - I don't know I was out of the room) causing a crack/scratch in the body which would cost more than the cost of the guitar to repair so I just sanded it slightly and it was fine. I live with a scar on it. The sound is unaffected." // 10

Reliability & Durability: "This guitar is certainly sturdy enough. There is one major scratch but all the components have remained intact since I got it a year or two ago. It has a bridge (of course) but I mean violin style. There are two pickups which you can level separately (always useful for solos and whatnot). One of the tuning keys/pegs is a bit dodgy." "The body doesn't seem to heavy but the wood is still strong (an important point for a hollow guitar)." In the first week of having it I left it propped up against a table at a gig and it fell over (or something - I don't know I was out of the room) causing a crack/scratch in the body which would cost more than the cost of the guitar to repair so I just sanded it slightly and it was fine. I live with a scar on it. The sound is unaffected. // 10

Overall Impression: The phrase "you get what your pay for" couldn't be used on less worthy. You pay around 130 for something worth around 300 just because you've never heard of Wesley. With its beautiful body and no-nonesense, simple pickups this ill-branded bargain is the perfect ultra-affordable alternative to the Gibson ES-335. Is it as good? No. Don't be silly. Nowhere near. But it does the same job and it looks pretty similar. There is something a bit bizarre the fretboard but generally it's good. With one of these you can play any genre without looking out of place (I felt weird playing jazz on a Strat beforehand). Having the option of different levels on each pickup is another bonus - although a simple one. The best 130 I ever spent. // 9

Comments