E4000 review by Westfield

Westfield: E4000

Purchased from: Cash Converters

I primarily play blues, and this guitar, when I first bought it, was good enough for me. However, as I progressed, it didn't seem to match up to the guitars my friends were buying. It sounds great when played through my Marshall MG10CD, but when played through my Marshall MG100HDFX, it just can't hack it. he sound quality suffers because of the poor build quality. Through a small amp, this guitar can belt out it's fair share of volume, but through a bigger amp, sound quality really suffers.

Let's face it, most people buy Les Paul copies because of the rock legends who play Les Pauls. Les Paul himself, Slash, Page. If you want a guitar that will make you look good, this will do it for you if you take care of it. It can belt out blues well enough through a small amp, but suffers when given the power of a larger amplifier. I've been playing for around 3/4 years, and have had this guitar for most of them. It's played very well on occasion, but it really has suffered with age. Compared to my Ibanez AX120, this guitar is just plain shoddy. If it were stolen before I had bought the Ibanez, I would have probably checked the market for a better quality guitar, and I bought my Ibanez for 89. I wish the build quality was better.

I have played this guitar Live many times, and although it hasn't died on me yet, it doesn't produce the sound most people would like for their Live playing. Th hardware seems to be holding on. There's plenty of wear around the 19th fret, which isnt too good. I have used this guitar with only a five stringed guitar as a backup, I was that confident of it's ability to survive. Now, however, it seems to be getting over the hill.

The guy Who owned this guitar before me seemed to have set the guitar up well. It could be said that the action was a little high, but this is understood as soon as you try and play with a lower action. This guitar is not made for people Who know what they're doing. It's a beginner's guitar at best. But if that's what you want, it's perfect for you. This guitar has taken a beating, but it seems very susceptable to cosmetic damage. It fell off the stand, and lost quite a large chip near the jack socket. Headstock is stratched up from years of bumps and dings. Bits and pieces of the body seem to be holding on for dear life. The neck, however, has hung on well, as usually with Les Paul style guitars, if they fall or are dropped, the headstock will crack as quick as anything.

Let's face it, it's your average Les Paul Copy. What with buying this guitar froma shop that focus mainly on selling cheap electrical goods, I have no idea when it was made. It has 22 frets that get ludicrously thin as the neck progresses. It has a Tune-o-matic bridge that seems to have held up better than the rest of this guitar. Carved maple top, maple neck, with a rosewood fingerboard. Electronics were and still are passive. I wouldn't waste my money on active electronics for this guitar. It has your average Les Paul style 3-way selector at the top end of the guitar, which always seems to get in the way. Two humbucking pickups, that look poorly made. The guitar came with no accesories.

Itchyknee
    i have this in white! i'd say its a good guitar to learn on but nothing more.... looks good as all les paul styled guitars do and i like the beefy sound but if your all ready a seriuos player i wouldnt bother obv.