E4000 review by Westfield

Westfield: E4000

Purchased from: eBay Seller

Let me make this clear; this guitar cannot do heavy metal. Don't expect to be playing Slipknot on this thing because it just doesn't match it. The rhythm pickup is inadequate and so the pickup selector has not moved out of the "treble" position. This is fine though as for classic rock, hard rock, country and clean the treble pickup does a very good job. As I am something of an amateur, I don't have any expensive equipment to connect the guitar to; just a Standard Pocket POD (Welcome to the Jungle sounds brilliant) and a decent set of surround speakers. The output sound is very good for the price; smooth, clean and rich. Sounds better than some far more expensive guitars I've played but seems limited in what it can do. Certainly screams like a little girl if you try.

My style is very weird. I was taught to play acoustic a year back by an ex-bassist and so I only use my fingers and make heavy use of effects. This is my first electric. There are two things I would change about it. The rhythm pickup is the first because it is just terrible. The second is that I would add a whammy bar. I realise it's not part of Les Paul design and I know from my brother's E1000 that Westfield aren't too good with them but I would like one nontheless. If someone were to steal my guitar, I'd have to sit around because the law gives thieves more rights than victims nowadays although I'd want to bash the scumbag's head in and buy another. I think it's important to note that this is a beginner's guitar and should not be taken too seriously. Guitarophiles and audiophiles will not be impressed and will probably turn their noses up and the occasional rough spot and the price tag. I'll just keep shredding.

For the most part, I would say this guitar is well built. There are a couple of rough spots on the guitar where a little more care when manufacturing wouldn't have Hurt but it has a solid feel. I'd advise that you tighten the nut that holds the jack in place as mine was loose and I've heard of some being pushed inside. An inspection revealed the soldering to be very good, although one of the screws that held on the cover didn't screw into anything. This is pretty irrelevant though as it left three screws to hold a cover on for which one would do. On another note, the pick guard is supported by a metal bracket. One has to wonder why when surely it would be cheaper, easier and better looking to mould a column into the underside of the pick guard. No locks on tuners or nut, but the tuning holds well enough.

The action was perfectly set up. Hardly any air space between the strings and the neck. The finish is beautiful. Truly wine red; a vibrant red with dark grain showing in the light and a Deep Purple in the dark. There are a couple of points of note; a strange gap between part of the neck and the body that looks as though the neck has been raised to correct the action when it was not designed to be. This doesn't seem to matter. The electronics and mechanics are solidly in place and don't budge. Frets feel nice unlike other guitars in this price bracket which can have small metal mountains making slides difficult and trills nasty.

The guitar came with a simple gig bag. I have no idea what woods the guitar is built from, but they do their jobs. The body is made of a dense, heavy wood that has yet to dent or scuff despite several drops. Includes your Standard two humbuckers, three way pickup selector, two tone dials and two volume dials as per Standard Les Paul spec. Treble pickup is fantastic but rhythm pickup is a major disappointment.

GerrothRock
    Got one of these as my second ever axe, its better by miles than my shoddy Encore strat. Not saying its great, but its certainly a standard above what i was playing, and allows for great improvements in ability Good for beginners then
    Slingers
    I got one as my first guitar, i had if for around a year on its own,then i upgraded to a Jackson rhandy rhoads, and now about 9 months ago i upgraded again to an esp ltd m-300fm. i still have my westfield,(although i am looking to sell it now), and its stands up to the test of time and competition brilliantly, it still feels good to play today, and even though there is a noticeable difference, it can still hold its own with my esp, which is loaded with emg 81 actives, an excellent first guitar i think, and its survived the inevitable knocks with only very minor damage (almost all of it on the back face from belts and zips, ect.
    Dempsey68
    It sounds great when played through my Marshall MG10CD, but when played through my Marshall MG100HDFX, it just can't hack it
    this may also have something to do with the fact it's being played through a MG100HDFX...
    Nicolain-e
    I have run into a problem, my D-string tuner on my Westfield E4000 has broken, and really need one in replace is there anyone I can buy one from or a couple