E4000 review by Westfield

Westfield: E4000

Purchased from: Intersales Music

We play industrial metal of a Nine Inch Nails ilk. I use so much distortion that the tone quality doesn't matter that much. However as I was wanting this to be a backup for my Epiphone Les Paul Custom, in order for them to match I was going to change the pickups in both guitars to something more high gain like Duncan Distortion or DiMarzio Super Distortion and therefore make them identical in the electronics dept. I was however pleasantly surprised by the stock pickups in this guitar which sound exactly the same as those in the Epiphone LP Custom and therefore are pretty well matched as they are. I may still swap them out for something more high gain but for now it's not a priority. After playing it for some time I'm starting to think I'll use this as my main guitar and the Epi as the backup. That's how good it is.

Overall I'm more than satisfied with this guitar, I've already said it twice but I think I'll be using this as my main live guitar. I used to have a Gibson Les Paul Studio and this guitar is as good if not better. I cannot believe these guitars sell for so low a price, especially the price I got it for. It has the classic look Gibson Les Paul and from a distance you can be forgiven for thinking it might actual be a gibson. Even up close only the name on the headstock gives away the difference. I've used an Epiphone Les Paul Custom for my main stage guitar for the past year or so now and I think this will be much better. I'm now planning on getting another one as we alternate between Drop D and Standard and I switch guitars to one already tuned rather than re tuning on stage. So I think my setup will be two of these as my main guitars in the two different tunings and my Epiphone as back up. Ignore the people who say it's too heavy, they're clearly used to super light Ibanez's or something like that. The pickups stand up the amounts of distortion I use although will probably change them for something more high gain.

Sturdy as any other Les Paul I've played, finish is fantastic and will last as well as any other Gibson or Les Paul. Certainly considering making this my main stage guitar. I always take a backup but sure I would only need it for a snapping string, the guitar itself is solidly built and I have no fear of it letting me down. Again, I cannot fault the build.

Action was fine but higher than I like so had to lower it ever so slightly. I spent about 5-10 minutes setting up the action and intonation and it's now perfect, managed to get the action reasonably low without any fret buzz. I hadn't expected it to be perfect out of the box but it wasn't far off. Tuning pegs are fantastic and hold tuning perfectly. I can't fault the build at all, people complain these guitars are too heavy. I don't know what they're talking about as it's no heavier than any Epiphone or Gibson Les Paul I've played in the past and I'll happily gig with it.

22 fret rosewood neck, ebony finish, two passive humbuckers, three way selector switch. Possibly mahogany Les Paul style body. Unsure of exact specs of pickups but was planning on swapping these out anyway. Stand, case and strap were included for free, although it was the world's shortest strap and I like my guitars low slung.

Prozak2000
    Bought one of these around 10 years ago for my daughter. It survived being transported to uni and back on several occasions, I now have custody of this axe. Took it out of its gig bag today and gave it a strip down and thorough clean, including lemon oil on the fretboard, new strings and a set up. It plays absolutely fine. Plugged it into my Blackstar valve combo, set the gain high and played some blues. Sounds great. Nice and dirty in the middle position, ringing nicely in the treble. Yes there's a difference in sound between the Westfield and my Gibson Les Paul, but for what I psi do all those years ago, this is a good guitar. The white finish has yellowed on the body except for underneath the pick guard. It's a keeper. Love it. It ain't going anywhere.
    shecter guy
    i love how all the reviewers are using this with MGs or crappy distortion pedals. I'd love to see one used with a decent quality amp.
    Glenlivet
    I bought one of these to keep my fingers hard when away from home. I've since plugged it into my home amp (Laney L5T Lionheart)and it rocks! Not the same as my Ibanez JS1000 or RG1550 with Seymour Duncans but for 100ukp new a hell of a machine!!
    JordanFrew94
    For anyone wondering, Westfields are Scottish guitars. They're made in a town called East Kilbride just outside Glasgow.
    RattnRolla
    Westfield were Scottish importer using a Korean manufacturer to quite high standard. Maybe Cort? Played a few and they were nice ..gone bust recently.