Spectrum II Review

manufacturer: Westone date: 05/19/2005 category: Electric Guitars
This is a fairly Strat shaped guitar with no pickguard. It has 22 frets with a rosewood fret board and a maple neck.
 6.7
 9.2
 4.1
 3,509
review (1) 8 comments vote for this gear:
Spectrum II Reviewed by: BassDude2737, on may 19, 2005

Purchased from: Small Dealer

Features: Vintage guitar made in the '80s. The company that made it went out of buisness but was baught by Alvarez. It has 22 frets with a rosewood fret board and a maple neck. It is a deep black color and has a Strat body style. I had had a Ibanez before it with a non-locking whammy bridge so now I really apreciate the locking floyd rose. It has a volume a tone knob and a humbucker selector. This selecter really gives the guitar a warmer sound when turned on. It has two humbuckers and one Strat. I know that almost nobody has heard of this brand but it is really awesome. // 10

Sound: It goes along with my eighties hard rock band wonderfully. I use it with a crate thirty watt amp coupled to a 200 watt driving head that goes into an eighteen inch woofer. It is noisy all the time it just depends on what setting. However I got the guitar used, so it could be that the jack hasn't been replaced since it was made. I really haven't opened it up to see. There are a ton of screws in the back panel so that kind of sucks it a realy hassel to get the back off. I normally keep the guitar with the selector between the front and middle pickups. It gives the guitar a warm sound, but with a slight, shall we say, twang. It give a great blues sound. But it can be also very raw when set on rear pickup with tone down. Perfect Yngwie sound. This thing handles like a champ. I'm doing deep whammy dives a lot and it never goes out of tune! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: As I said I got it used so I think the guy I got it from adjusted some stuff so that he could sell if more easy. The action was fine although I would like the pickups to ride a little higher, I don't think that they are getting a really good signal. The top frets are corroded I'm still trying to figure out why. There is some super glue on the thriteenth fret and the quarter inch jack needs replacing. There are some minor blemishes on the body, but it is a realy champ. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will last forever. The strings never break, I bend the crap out of them and I have never had one pop. I love the floyd rose. The finish although it looks to have been bashed around will last forever. Just like this guitar was made to do. // 10

Overall Impression: I was playing on an Ibanez before I got this guitar. I perfer the pickup configuration of the Ibanez but you just can't beat the tone of the dual humbuckers. If it was stolen I probably wouldn't be able to replace it but, if I could I would. My favorite feauture is the floyd rose absolutely beautiful. But the thing is, is that it's not about the name it's about if you like the chunk of wood that it's built on. // 10

Comments