XS-10 Review

manufacturer: Westone date: 01/23/2015 category: Electric Guitars
Westone: XS-10
It's a pretty good sounding guitar for the price. The guitar's sound is pretty good for almost any genre of music.
 7.8

- Pearloid pickguard
- 1 Wilkinson Humbucker, 2 Wilkinson Single Coil
- Vintage Tremolo
- Non locking tuners

I bought it second-hand and I think most of the problems come from that fact, although it is a pretty good looking, good playing, average guitar. I got no accessories with It and I think there wasn't any when the first person bought it. // 8

Sound: The guitar's sound is pretty good for almost any genre of music. I mostly play alternative rock, blues and class rock. The instrument perfectly suites these types of music. I use a Johnson Blueline 50R combo which sounds pretty good with it. It's a little bit noisy, but not too badly. I can't complain much for the price. It has a wide range of sound, I can get out bright and warm tones. I had an Epiphone Les Paul Special II guitar which sounded awful in comparison. I'd say it was a wise choice to trade that guitar for this, a like it lot better. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: As I said I bought after-hand, so can't say anything about factory setup. The only bad about the material of the body is that the screws can cut into the wood, making It loose. It makes things even worse when that happens to the tremolo claw's screws. The screws are also bad in quaility as It gets deformated after a few times of screwing. It is the guitar's weakest part, although it plays pretty well. I'm a little surprised about the quality, but Its price says otherwise. The frets have good quality and the fingerboard is pretty solid. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The guitar can withstand its tuning pretty well, but the screws are made of bad quality. The tremolo works pretty great. The strap button has fallen off. All in all, with proper skills It can be repaired at a low cost. I'm playing it a lot, about 2 hours every day. I'd use It on a gig as a backup for Its tuning stability and sound, but I won't be surprised if something would fall off from the guitar. I'm really sorry about the quality of the screws and about body wood, without these, I would rate 10. // 7

Overall Impression: I like the guitar's sound mostly, the other parts are just average. The guitar's single coil pickups are the best feature for me, because they have a really wide, open tone. I think it's one of the best option to buy it under 170€. I'd recommend it for others, especially for those who start playing electric guitar. It can be a solid backup guitar with a little tinkering, especially with replead screws. If it gets stolen I will probably buy a more expensive guitar. Still, it's a pretty good sounding guitar for the price. // 8

Comments