XV-400 Review

1,644
review (1) pictures (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
XV-400 Reviewed by: Prodigy999, on april 18, 2011

Purchased from: Guitarfetish.com

Features: As with all Xavieres, this guitar was made in China, 21 frets, Solid Mahogany body, Mahogany Neck, Rosewood fretboard, intonated wraparound bridge, GFS Dogear P90 Pickup, One Volume, One Tone, Standard Tuners... pretty much all your Standard Les Paul Junior ingredients. // 8

Sound: I'm really into punk music, with driving chords and riffs, and almost every other form of rock, so this guitar fit my needs extremely well. The P90 just screams and with simple turns of the volume knob, you can go from bright, singing cleans to screaming overdrives. The tone knob further adds the versatility of such a simple guitar design. It's exactly the same sound you'd expect from a Standard Gibson Les Paul Junior. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was decently set up in the factory. I just lowered the action, which was extremely easy, to suit my preferences. I did buy the 'blem' version of the guitar for a HUGE discount. So naturally after opening the box, I immediately checked for these blems. There were some small, very small white dots on the side of the headstock, a couple weird patterns on the binding of the neck, and a little blem where the neck met the body. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I get really into playing. I sort of demand a guitar that can take a beating. I strum really hard, which sort of knocks this guitar out of tune, which was really expected. The only reason why I would change the hardware on this guitar are for cosmetics reasons (e.g. the knobs are black speed knobs, instead of the traditional amber Jr. Knobs). I would also change the tuners to perhaps Grovers. What really surprised me was the quality of the wraparound bridge. It was extremely nicely made, especially for a guitar at this price range. // 9

Overall Impression: I love that I got a guitar of this quality for $130. I was ready to make some major mods, but after playing the guitar for a couple hours, I realized the only thing need of change were the tuners, but only because of my own playing style. If it were stolen, I would definitely cough up another $130 for another. // 10

Comments