XV-500 review by Xaviere

Xaviere: XV-500

Purchased from: GuitarFetish.com

I use a Crate V-18 212 amp. It's an 18 Watt all tube amp. I also use a DigiTech Bad Monkey distortion pedal. I have been playing an Epiphone SG. This guitar sounds wayyyy better than the SG. There's no more tinny sound up the neck, no more over-bassy vibrations for the speaker. EXAMPLE: On the beginning of "Mama, I'm Coming Home" the SG simply blends all the notes together. This guitar allows each one to come through, and sounds much better. Make sense>? You can pick out each note cleanly, the pickups do a great job. You can get bright cleans, dirty crunch, and in the middle, that wonderful, churchy tone that resonates and carries so well. I was very surprised at how much better this sounds than my SG. I didn't expect that much of a difference, especially for around $ 200. I play all kinds of music- this covers them well so far. AC/DC to Zeppelin, this guitar is versatile. No br00talz, please.

This LP is HEAVY. I was surprised how heavy it is. It weighs about twice what my SG does. Buy yourself a good strap, because if you drop this weighty beast, bad things will probably happen. If it were stolen, I would buy another- IT's $ 200! How can you lose?! I love it's sustain, it's warm sounds, it's tone. I also love it's beautiful finish and cool Vintage look to it. My favorite feature is the tone of it. Regardless of the looks, it's a HUGE upgrade in sound for me, and will help me out a lot in my playing. Overall, I am quite impressed- for the price, this is a great value! I'm not comparing this to a Gibson Les Paul. I'm rating it on a $ 200.00 purchase. It's great! With some new strings, I'm sure she'll sing, and my next guitar will probably be on of Xaviere's Strat copies, I am that impressed!

This guitar could withstand Live playing. The hardware seems ok. The volume and tone knobs seem to be very free moving, which makes me think they have come apart, but they have not. The tone knob of the neck pickup rubs a bit into the curve of the body, but meh. I bought a nice strap for it and it looks and sounds super cool. An improvement for me.

Guitar set up- well... It was $ 200.00... First of all, the guitar is beautiful. The cream on black gives it a great, cool, Vintage look. However; If you buy one, buy some strings, the ones on it seem a little suspect. Also, on mine, there is a tiny blem on the 3rd fret of the E string- looks like a bit of over sanding of a fret or glue, not sure. Doesn't affect the playability at all, but I could see that this may be an issue if it were elsewhere on the neck. Again, it was $ 200, so my expectations were a bit lower.

2008 or 2009, made overseas, Korean, I assume. Set neck, 22 jumbo frets, 1/2 maple over mahogany body. Mine is gloss black. It is an LP copy. This guitar comes with Crunchy PAF pickups, basically Gibson PAF copies. Two volume, two tone, pickup selector. Tuners are non-locking, but seem to keep it in tune. The guitar came with a cable and an allen wrench. Didn't come with the pickup covers like in the photo, which I was bummed a bit about, but the zebra color of the cream and black pickups is growing on me. I'm rating this because it was $ 200. How can you lose?