XV-500 review by Xaviere

Xaviere: XV-500

Purchased from: Guitar Fetish

I have read a lot of reviews about this guitars sound. I must say that this thing sounds amazing. The GFS humbuckers are a little hot...but from clean blues to overdrivin crunch they are fantastic. The neck is creamy and articulate. The bridge can go from purr to scream. Overall the sound is a little dark. I run this through a variety of pedals and amps. For gigging I use a Boss overdrive/distortion OS-2 pedal with a delay and reverb and eq pedal to a Egnator Rebel 20 amp. With this setup I can go from blues to early thrash. For bedroom I run same setup to a Bugera V5. Sounds great also. I have been playing for a number of years now and play many styles from finger picking blues to all out shred this guitar goes there well. Not really a metal shred guitar...but I have my RGA for that.

After everything is said and done I am quite happy how this guitar turned out. $260.00 shipped to my house in a hard shell case I really expected the worst. I am going to change the cheap tuners and bridge. Even though it stays in tune pretty well. For now I'll leave in the GFS pickups...I really like the fact this this guitar has it's own unique tone. Reminds me of a Gibson Les Paul with Dirty Fingers pups (for about 1/8 the price). This is a blue collar working man's guitar. With a little bit of time and some patience These can be made to play and sound exceptional.

This guitar will withstand gigging. The electronics seem solid and I have had no issues. Strap buttons are okay but I always change them out. Like I said finish is nice and durable except for the minor blems. All in all pretty durable guitar. This would be fine for a backup or your main axe if you are on a budget.

Okay, lets start with the finish... This being a factory blem it was not to bad. Beautiful tobacco burst finish on flame maple top. All the cream accessories look stunning with the finish color. It really has an aged, classy vibe to it. The blems are small. One small ding down by the controls and 2 small cracks in the finish up by the truss rod cover. Now, onto the action and setup...This is where it gets the low score from. This guitar sat for a while at the factory being a blemished model. Had to do a truss rod adjustment, intonation, and action setup on it. Before that (and this was the most major issue) I had to fix the frets. Lots of high and low frets and dead spots... So I seated the high ones with a little tapping from a mallet and then used a fret file to get them perfect. This took me about 3 hrs or so to do. After all this work it plays real nice now. Now that it is setup properly I would rate this an 8 to 9 on playability.

This is an 08 Factory Blem Tobacco burst finish. 22 fret Rosewood fretboard, set Mahogany neck. Not to thick or thin. Thicker than an RG, more along a Schecter feel. Solid Mahagony Les Paul shape body. 3/4 inch thick carved Flame Maple top. Tune-O-Matic style bridge. 2 volume, 2 tone, 1 - 3 way switch. GFS Zebra crunchy pat pickups. Standard cheap tuners. Came with a cheap cable, truss rod wrench, and shipped to my house in a hard shell case for $260 dollars.

sbinlb
    got my xv 500 the other day. for the price its a great guitar. it looks great, but it does have some blemishes nothing major. the tuners on mine will have to be switched out. i swapped out the pick ups and put on some GFS power rails and put the stock pickups in my strat and they both sound good now. i might also get a custom nut for it because i dont really like the stock one. this guitar did not come set up at all. so if you dont know how to set up a guitar youll have to take it to a pro. overall its definitely worth the money once you set it up and change some inexpensive oarts out it sounds great.
    Dannomite
    I just received my XV-550 Blem and it's amazing. Looks beautiful, sounds great and it was only $135. I feel like I stole it. I should have ordered a case with them for that price. If you are thinking of an Xaviere, but aren't sure, just do it. The Blem models are even better.
    rv_phoenix
    Bob_Sagget wrote: I'm considering buying one just 2 gig with b/c they are sooooo inexpensive. I'll buy two, one to play, and the other to completely smash on an upcoming gig. Yay everybody wins!!!
    That's a very clever way of using this guitar. You can actually buy only one: that one you'll destroy at your upcoming gig. It will be the highest point of your gig anyway, since you play so badly...