XV-500 review by Xaviere

Xaviere: XV-500

Purchased from: Guitar Fetish. com

I purchased 10/03 2014. Made in China I assume but it is not marked on guitar anywhere. 3/4 inch solid maple cap, three piece solid mahogany body, solid mahogany neck, bound rosewood fret board. Tobacco burst on flamed maple cap. The web site states highly flamed but this is not the case but it is still awesome, it is not a veneer like the quilt tops they offer. This a very close copy of a Les Paul with the same features. The tuners are ok. They work just fine but if their was one thing I would change it would be the tuners to a higher tuning ratio but they don't need to be changed. The neck is nearly identical to a Les Paul Standard, nice and fat with a 12 inch radius. The stock Tune-o-Matic bridge is excellent with a lot of sustain.

It can cover all styles of music. The Zebra Crunchy Pats sound awesome. They compare to the Gibson 500 Ceramic but in my honest opinion the crunchy pat's sound better, they are nice and quite and capable of playing r'n'b, blue's, country, rock, metal, drop tuning metal and still sound clear not muddy with out sound muddy, thin, or dry. The Gibson 500's sound kind of dry n sterile to me, the Crunchy Pats don't. I think if you changed the pickup's to like a Gibson 57 Classics it would sound exactly like a Gibson Les Paul, personally I am going to keep the Zebra Crunchy Pat's.

The guitar had the usual factory set up, a little high but very good. The pickups needed slight adjustment but where ok. The top was properly book matched and the Tobacco burst excellent also the top is a solid 3/4 inch solid maple cap. The Volume and Tone control knobs where kind of screwed down a little to far and slightly rubbed the top but work with out damaging the top. Over all the fit and finish are top notch. The frets are immaculate, they are highly polished with no file marks or protruding ends and perfectly level after playing for two hours and doing some adjustments on the set up it plays excellent, the term "like butter" comes to mind.

Will this guitar withstand live playing?, absolutely yes. Does the hardware seem like it will last?, I expect to be playing this guitar 50 years from now. Are the strap buttons solid?, yes. Can you depend on it? Would you use it on a gig without a backup?, Yes. Is the finish good enough to last, or does it seem thin and easy to wear off with lots of playing?, absolutely. Their is nothing that really needs to be changed out to make playable. I plan on making this my main axe. I own a '95 Gibson Les Paul Classic and honestly think the Xaviere XV-500 is a better playing and sounding guitar.

I play r'n'b, blues, rock, metal, and play gig's regularly. I have been playing 30 years. This guitar is a bargain of a life time, understandably not everyone has had a great experience with guitar fetish but I did but remember I have had new Gibsons and Fenders that where poorly set up and needed more work to play right. If it where lost or stolen I would immediately replace it with the same model. I love everything about this guitar. The highlights where the fret work, the fit, the finish, and especially the Pickup's. I will probably change the tuners to a higher ratio but they work just fine and don't need to be changed. Buy this guitar.