XV-510 review by Xaviere

Xaviere: XV-510

Purchased from: USED

This is where the guitar shines. Les Paul's have been known for their tone, and LP copies are generally no exception. Its very beefy, yet the maple top gives it that light crunch on the top-end. I use a Crate Blue Voodoo BV-60h into a BV412 cab with Celestion V30 speakers. The tone is pleasantly rich and raunchy overdriven, yet wonderfully clean and articulate through the clean channel. For anyone looking for the pickups to match in a LP, the Fat PAT in the bridge is VERY "Fat" sounding. Its similar in tone to a Seymour Duncan JB without the wierd upper-mid grind. Essentially its a more balanced JB. The Pearly gates in the neck is tonal-nirvana! If you're a metal head, go with a Duncan Distortion in the bridge and you'll be a very happy camper. I just needed more versatility.

I use this guitar for clean work because honestly, its the best clean toned guitar I've ever played or owned. It does what you'd expect any LP or LP copy to do well; cleans and fat classic-heavy rock. Its versatility is amazing after my modifications (pickups/tuners/setup/coil-tapping). If it were lost I'd definitely buy another Xaviere LP copy. Truth be told people its kinda stupid to be playing a $3,000 Gibson in a garage or on stage where it'd be subject to harm, unless you've very deep pockets these things have a definite place in your lineup. You don't have to bite your nails hoping it doesn't get scratched, and it still performs very well.

Live, hell yes after a couple modifications. The stock strap buttons are solid, but the tuners are awful! Do yourself a favor and pickup some Grovers, Schallers, Gibsons, or even some Wilkinsons and you'll be VERY pleased. I bought some locking Wilkinsons from GFS also, and it holds tuning very well. After I performed a basic setup its a nice playing guitar

Honestly it wasn't setup all that well from the factory. The guitar needed a basic setup (action, intonation). The frets were all perfect and polished. None of that sloppy ass stuff you see on cheap Fender Squires. I cannot comment on pickup height as they were not stock. Bridge was properly routed, and the top was indeed bookmatched or extremely close. The finish on these guitars is just awesome. The paint is fantastic. Just as good as any guitar I've owned.

2008, Chinese/Korean made guitar. It sports a 22-fret set neck in a mahogony/flamed maple body. Standard Les Paul Copy means you've a tune-o-matic bridge/tailpiece, Standard 3x3 tuners. The XV-510 is just the XV-500series with a quilted maple top. 3-way toggle, two GFS humbuckers, two volume/2 tone controls, full-size alpha pots,.223 caps. I modified it by installing a zebra pup set; a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in the neck, and a GFS Fat PAT in the bridge, and a couple mini switches for coil-tapping the pickups independently.

DrFurtrix
    First post under this account name. Anyway, any feedback please feel free. I should have stated before that the guitar was purchased from family. It was not modified before I bought it in any way other than the pots being changed to stock Gibson orange caps. Buying something used doesn't always mean buying an8 year old guitar at a pawn shop people. My fault for not stating this however, so I understand your criticism. In any case I stated the weaknesses of the guitar very clearly, if you read the interview, the words "tuners, setup" should hopefully resonate as major areas of improvement. My hope with the review was to demonstrate that the guitar is a great alternative to Epiphone/Agile Les Paul copies, which it does very well. If you feel the urge to say "yeah but my gibson is better" don't bother. That isn't what this is about, get over it.
    themelodicdeathshow
    Honestly it wasn't setup all that well from the factory. Purchased from: USED This discredits your whole review how would you know how it was from the factory if it was used???
    katalyzt13
    I have an Xaviere XV-599 and I can say that these guitars are awesome and seriously under-rated. They do usually have some set-up issues, but after a good set-up they are very easy playing, very flat radius, great tone, etc.
    Madcarp
    Go read my review of the XV-500 series and you will get a better understanding of this guitar. These play real nice after some setup work.