EG012 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: EG012

Price paid: € 150

Purchased from: Ebay

In general, the guitar has the rich sound of a solid body guitar, with the bright sound of a doublecut electric. To my opinion, whatever music style you want to play, or whatever pickup you select, you should not bring down the tone know to 0, because it has such a dull sound to it when you do so. Not my taste. An open tone knob gives the guitar definately more action. The neck pickup gives a very soft sound, the middle is a the same and the neck humbucker is one powerful rocker. So in the front pickup position it is very suitable for country and blues with the tone knob open. The middle pickup is a bit similar, but it has like a bit more of an acoustic touch to it of you don't distort it. Ideal for acoustic songs. Than there's the bridge humbucker. This one has a very powerful sound, with just a slight bit of gain you'll blow any other cheap guitar away playing some rock 'n roll. I call it my rock 'n roll pickup :) Also really cool for old school rock. More gain gives you a very heavy sound very suitabe for metal or hardcore. Worth mentioning is the fact that there's absolutely coming no rustle or interruption coming out of the pickups or amp at all. But it's not refined like a Gibson or PRS, but for it's price it's very good.

This is perfect for me. I have it to take with me to university and back at home I have my Gibson. A guitar this cheap won't be stolen easily and if it is, it's not a great loss. I preferred Yamaha over Squier because Yamaha has a stronger sound and more rock/rock 'n roll. You get a good bang for your buck (litterally) and it's just a beautifully chaped guitar. At this moment, it's a perfect match with me, but if it were stolen, and I still have all the other parts, it's foolish to buy the packageagain, so I'd go for an other model. A Pacifica 112 maybe or a Dean Vendetta 1\.0 CBK or maybe I'd want another guitar by than. So I've been playing for 2.5 years now and I own an Art & Lutherie single cutaway wild cherrywood guitar. and later I bought a Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom with 3 humbucker pickups (guitar of the week 47, 2007, limited to 400 examples). Now, 3 months later I bought this Yamaha for University.

This is a practice guitar and is not suitable to be played Live with. The sound isn't refined for that. Therefore I have a Gibson. I think this guitar is not made to last, but made to be cheap and good for its price, which it is. The parts could rust and the strings aren't that good quality neither. I don't wanna rely on that strap neither, cause of the weight of the guitar.

So the pickups were brought close to the strings, for some fine action and the setup was already done at the factory, as this guitar is aimed at starters. (though it's great for advanced guitarists too). The neck is bolt-on and the pickguard, knobs, pickups, tremolo arm end and swich are made of cheap plastic. The whole thing looks smooth though. The strings on the other hand feel rather unsmooth. The body is shiny black (only color available) and the neck is just (well) planed maple. The nut is made of cheap black plastic, something I really didn't wanna see. one bad thing worth mentioning is the fact that even though my EG-012 is Brand New, the bottom part of the tremolo arm, which is screwed into the bridge, shows a bit of rusty color, which could be rust, but it feels like it could be lubricating oil.

The EG-012 is a superstrat, so the machine heads are 6-in-line as the headstock resembles the Fender headstock. It has 22 frets, but for the rest very little information is know about this guitar. The body is made of alder and the neck is maple, and it is considerably heavier than a Fender or Squier. It has a tremolo bridge, similar to the ones featured on Squier Strats. The sound comes from 3 pickups, 2 single coils inthe neck and middle position and 1 humbucker in the bridge position. There's a 5 way switch to select the pickups you want. There's 1 master tone knob and 1 volume knob. A pickguard is featured and the cable input jack is on the bottom right of the body, like on a Les Paul. This guitar is always sold in a complete package, in contrary to it's close brother, the EG-112 which can be bought apart. The package also Features a decent 15-watts amp, the Yamaha GA-15, featuring distorted and clear sound. Than, there's a cable, which is clearly cheap and thin, but never had any problems with it though. There's also plectrums, 2 sets of reserve strings, a crap tuner (get a decent one), and a strap, which is too weak (cheap) for this rather heavy guitar in my opinion. A good thing is that it comes with a shoulder bag. There's also a setup key and a strange black I-don't-know-what-it-is... But for it's price, it's very well equipped.

jack_demo
    so you have a gibson les paul and you bought this piece of crap... are you ****ing insane????? and as for the price you paid, you could have EASILY bought a fender mexican stratocaster, or even an Ibanez, a DEAN, BC Rich or even a Jackson for that type of money... you IDIOT
    MarkoakaNiggaK
    @Samgar2 : you can buy an ibanez for 130 euro...an gax 30...it has no termolo but it's a ****ing high quality guitar..
    morello#2
    this was my first electric and im in the process of changing it around ,GREAT GUITAR FOR BEGINEERS I WOULD RECCOMMEND IT TO NEWBIES!!!!!
    Nacholism
    Assassin120 wrote: I own many things yamaha, as far as an instrumental sense, lol. And I find yamah to be a very competetive low budget brand, whether it is brass instruments, piano, music books, or guitars. I own an acoustic so I cannot speak for this model, but I can say from my own experiences that for the most part, they make quality cheap insturments. They work well, they will serve the beginner well. I still use mine when I dont want to ruin anything nice. So yea, dont bash the guitar simply because of the brand. I have played a wide range of guitars and I would say that you really cant comment on whether it is good or bad unless you have spent at least 20min playing and really looking the guitar. Trust me, brand isn't everything.
    Kalyth
    I own a Yamaha EG-112, and it was a fine entry level guitar. As said in the review, low price Yamahas are not meant to be your ultimate guitar of course, but I'll always love my first, even if I now own a Gibson Les Paul.
    Assassin120
    Samgar2
    At 150 euros I couldn't have bought any Deans or Ibanezzes new, Without any package, the cheapest of those 2 cost both about 230 euros. I happen to generally dislike Mexican Fenders btw. And they're at least twice as expensive for the guitar alone. The Yamaha EG-012 is good, and it rocks you pissheads away and I did a great bargain as it was brand new. It should have cost me 250 euros, so I saved a 100. Stop saying Yamaha sucks. For electrics under a $1000, they compete as one of the best brands, and faaarr underrated. But underrated keeps the prices low on the other hand
    Samgar2
    Guys you all seem sooo negative about Yamaha electrics, but don't know how to put any reasoning into words. This sounds like prejudice. I mean, who actually owns one and is playing it while typing it? and who has a Gibson Les Paul to compare and has experience playing SG's, Epiphones and Fenders? I really know what I'm talking about in this review. The EG-012 isn't made to last long or to be precious at all. It's meant to offer the best sound and ease of playing for the sharpest price, which is does wonderfully. If you wanna have an idea of how it sounds with a bit of gain on the bridge humbucker: it sounds exactly like Jimmy Hendrix' Johnny B. Goode (Fender Strat though).
    MertaN
    Yamaha electrics are a piece. but the yamaha acoustics are pretty nice.
    Rock Boy
    travislausch wrote: Guitar_Jester wrote: Some people need a cheap backup. Or something they can just smash on stage and replace for little money later.
    Nice answer
    travislausch
    Guitar_Jester wrote: You bought this after you bought your other ones?
    Samgar2
    Correction to the review: apparently it's also available in blue and maybe other colors to, I have no idea. It would be cool if they had it in the violin sunburst color scheme like the Pacifica 112.
    Samgar2
    charles3345 wrote: wow this thing is at my school and it sucks dick you cant take yamaha seriously
    How old is it?
    Flying Niels
    I own this thing myself, I got it for christmas as my first guitar. It's an awesome guitar to learn the skills and create your roots for guitar playing. After a year or two, you will have to buy a new one because the pickups are going to sound a bit like you're playing in a soup can. Problems I had with this were minor things, like the string tree on the headstock cutting my strings. But that's a 1/$ fix. I'll always use this guitar as some kind of back-up, or "dummy" guitar when I want to try something with the design of my new guitar (like color) but I'm not sure it will work out :