EG012 review by Yamaha

• Reviewer's score: 6.2 Neat
Yamaha: EG012

Purchased from: LIDL

I play in a band that plays metal and punk. Nothing else really.I use it with Boss HM-2 distortion pedal and it's connected to mixing board and into a sound system. I have to say it's quite noisy when volume knob is not on maximum, but when it is on maximum you will get irritating high pitched feedback when not playing. It has a very bright sound, no matter what pickup. I like the tone you get with middle pickup and brigde pickup gives decent tone for a begginer. For the price more than ok.

As I said I play metal and punk and for easier songs you don't need much more than this. When you play and everybody is headbanging and drunk, no one will notice that actually it doesn't sound very good. I have been playing for 2, 5 years and I have a bunch of other gear but this is my only guitar. I am preparing to buy a 7 string guitar so if it was stolen I would buy a better guitar.

I have played 5 gigs with it. It had beer spilt on it, I droppped it a few times when practicing and every weekend I must Drive it onto rehersal. I am surprised how reliable it is. The strap buttons are rock solid. I've said it before only bad thing about this chapter is the durability of paintjob, it comes off very easily, but I will give it an 8.

The guitar was poorly setup when I bought it. The strings were too high, the pickups were on lowest position. Bad. It had no flaws though out the box. You just need to set it correctly. Because of small frets it's very easy playing on it. Nothing is rusty yet, I take good care of it.

The guitar was made in 2008, and it's a Chinese product. It has 22 frets, neck is quite thick but not very wide. Frets are medium I think. I'm also pretty sure that the body is made from alder, I have no idea about other parts. Mine came in black colour but the finish is very weak, after two years I had five or six major craters in the paintjob so I covered them with duct tape. The body style is Stratocaster copy, the Bridge is Vintage tremolo, but I don't use it because when you do, the strings get out of tune. There is one volume knob and one tone knob. 5 way pickup selector. There are 3 pickup. In the brigde position there is a stock humbucker, in the middle a single coil and in the neck also single coil-all are passive. Tuners are stock Yamaha. If I could buy again I would buy something like Dean Vendetta or some Stagg.

KIERANSLY
    i also have this guitar and generally it plays ok nothing special though. had to make some little modifications though eg action and neck adjustments to get it how i wanted it and that crappy black plastic nut wasn't actually stuck to my guitars headstock. good entry level guitar tho altough the amp isn't much cop so i bought an orange c30 instead.
    guitardWARf
    the finish comes of easily? there's like 4 layers of finish on that thing! It was a real pain getting the finish of mine trying to refinsh it...
    MarkoakaNiggaK
    never buy a yamaha they are just plywood like taht most closets are made off...**** i'd rather put pickups on a closet and play it than this kind of crappy guitars....
    Lestat57
    My first electric guitar, still have it, played on it for many years until I moved to my current Jackson. For its price, very reliable. Had to re-do the shielding though, it picked up quite a lot of static when not on humbucker. Fun fact: When I recorded some stuff with it and put it on soundcloud, some people actually praised the guitar sound. Only if they knew...