EG112 review by Yamaha

• Reviewer's score: 6.6 Neat
Yamaha: EG112

Purchased from: Divertas/ Yamaha, Bucharest

I owm it for 9 years. It suits my music style, that's why I bought it (the other reason being the price). It plays very well stuff like Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Clapton, and generally hard rock an classic progressive, but also blues and rockabilly. My equipment includes a Korg AX 1G processor and a Vox Pathfinder 15 amplification. I've also played it on many different pedals and amps. It is quite silent - especially in intermediate pickup positions -, the sound is versatile and, generally speaking, the quality of the pickups is better than the general quality of the guitar itself. Neck pickup is warmer than the middle, but toghether they deliver a beatiful blues sound. The humbucker does its job, without being trully special. If you want to play som3thing heavier than 80's metal, just get another guitar. A special point is the middle pickup: it realy is there for a purpose: you can get a much different sound form it than from the neck pickup (it's suitable for Hendrix, for instance).

As I've already said, it suits my style and my inherent limitations. I play the guitar for about 30 years now, but I quitted playing in bands some 20 years ago. ONce in a while I jam with my friends or perform a one-man show for my mates. My playlist includes Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Rolling Stones, Clapton and stuff like that. The guitar was a good match since I bought it and, although I consider buying a different guitar now, I would still keep the EG 112 in my range. Assuming that I'm not ready to pay 2500 euros for a decent Strat, "Breathe" or "Comfortably Numb" sound great on this old entry level. There was nothing I wished to have askd before buying it: I wished I had a vider range of offers to choose from in 2001. If stolen, I'd regret, but I'd buy a different make and a different type of guitar, because it took me long to fix the guitar and some of the flows simply couldn't be removed. What I love? Its versatility, hence the pickups. What I hate? Yamaha being cheap on details, those who make the difference between a real guitar and something which only looks like one. It is certainly better than beginner guitars from makes like Cruzer, Stagg, Encore or Dimavery. Compared to Squiers and Epiphones, it sounds much better - it's solid wood against laminated -, but I still haven't seen one of these having so many ennoying little problems like the Yamaha.

I never pplayed it live, but that friend of mine who adjusted the pickups once borrowed it as a backup for his Gibson Les Paul. The hardware seems to be solid enough: the strap buttons are perfect, the paint is very thick and the gloss is still there... but you don't choose the gig guitar because of the hardware and beginners guitars are rarely played live in real concerts. For this purpose, I own a second guitar, a Yamaha Pacifica 120S, who is far better in terms of sounds, volume, playability and so forth. I like to practice with it, late at night, the headphones in my ears and the processor providing a huge range of sounds. If stolen, I'd buy a different make and a different type of guitar, because it took me long to fix the guitar and some of the flows simply couldn't be removed. I have to admit that I like it as it is, being aware of its limits from the very beginning.

The guitar was terribly set from the factory and the dudes at the Yamaha dealer in Bucharest weren't able to help too much: their top-sellers at the time were the keyboards, thus the maintanence crew didn't know about the guitars more than I did. Thank God I knew quite a few. The pickups were adjusted, however, by a friend of mine who is a professional guitar player. This guitar is very peculiar because it has "highs" that are very high and lows that are trully low. The top was superbly finished and so was the neck: they both are in almost pristine condition after 9 years. The joint between the neck and the body, though, isn't very beautiful (it is functionally perfect, but I've seen better finishes on much cheaper guitars). The hardware is chromed and it has withstand the test of time... with the exception of the saddles: Yamaha, for curious reasons, has chosen a very cheap metal. The have rusted in months, so I had to replace them. An equally cheap package of chromed saddles, bought in the UK for 10 quid, did the job, making me wonder why was Yamaha particularly cheap on that matter... The tone and volume knobs still work perfectly, with no buzz or noise whatsoever, while the pickup selector was a different story. It broke in a couple of months, but the guys at Divertas didn't manage to find a replacement (and anyway they told me they will replace it with anotherolne of the same quality), the only one available for service being somewhere in Bosnia (!). I've cleaned the selector once or twice, the used it as it was. Now, after so many years, it repaired by itself (!!!). It works fine now, no buzzs, no incomplete contact. Tuning pegs are not very precise, but they stay tuned for a reasonable ammount of time - a gig, for example (I must confess I don't use the tremolo too often). I don't pay attention to this particular detail, because my ear and my experience make me re-tune the guitar - every guitar - everytime I take it out of the case. As for action, it was too high from the beginning and stil is higher than I'd like, no matter how much I've reffined the setup.

My Yamaha EG 112 was made in 2001, in Indonesia (according to the label still on the back of guitar's head), and it was new when I bought it. 22 frets, thin neck (very comfortable), 648 mm scale. Information about the wood in this guitar may vary, but mine was certainly made of alder (the body), maple (the neck) and rosewood (the fingerboard). Finish is Black, for a Strat body style, but improved a little bit at the cutaways, for easier acces to higher notes. Vintage Strat tremolo, passive electronics, 1 Volume, 1 Tone, 5 way selector, SSH configuration, non-locking tuners. Although is usually comes in a package, mine was only provided with a bag, a strap, a cable and 3 picks.

rv_phoenix
    Tim_5150 has noticed EG's most shameful feature. The tuning pegs are made IN PLASTIC, which plastic was then covered by a thick layer of Chrome, so they look like being respectable Die-cast vintage Fender-style tuners. They broke when I tried some heavy-gauge strings! Replacing them with locking keys brings a major improvement, but you have to drill new holes, the original being too narrow to host modern keys... Too bad for an, otherwise, good entry level, maybe one of the best some 5-6 years ago.