EG112C review by Yamaha

Yamaha: EG112C

I personally play a lot of metalcore, southern metal, punk, ska, anything between those lines really. Because of the basewood body it has a nice low tone to it thats perfect for Metalcore, and Southern Metal. After I swapped out the Humbucker like I mentioned it was even better suited. The two single pickups that came with it though in the neck and mid position I haven't changed. Their reletiveley clean sounding for generic pickups so I wont be swapping them out anytime soon. I'm currently using a Peavey 100 watt valveking head through a Marshall mg 412 cabinet. I also have a Vox wah pedal, a Boss ml-2 metalcore pedal, a Boss MT-2 metalzone pedal, a Boss GE-7 Equalizer pedal and a Boss TU-3 chromatic tuner. For a begginer guitar I have no complaints about any feedback or hum on any settings. Not too bright sounding. The guitar on a strait up pedal-less sound through the gain channel or clean channel on my amp is suprisingly versitial and it can make an abondance of sounds and tones.

Like I said I play a lot of metalcore, southern metal, punk, ska and anything between those lines. This guitars a very good match for that style and is extremely versityle to play even soft rock or making it sound like an acoustic. I've been playing for 10 Years now and this was my first guitar that was completely mine that I've had for 8 or 9 of those 10 years. I have a gremlin classical guitar, a Carlo Robelli steel string acoustic, a Fender Telecaster 1960's Vintage style, an aspen Les Paul knock off that has all the same exact hardware of a genuine Gibson studio that I swapped the pickups out of for zakk wylde emgs, and Ibanez artcore ax75 hollow body electric. My amps and effects are the tiny ga-10 that came with this guitar, an Ibanez toneblaster 1x12, and a Peavey 100 watt valveking tubehead through a Marshall mg 412 cabinet. I also have a Vox wah pedal, a Boss ml-2 metalcore pedal, a Boss MT-2 metalzone pedal, a Boss GE-7 Equalizer pedal and a Boss TU-3 chromatic tuner for my effects rig. In all honesty if I were to lose this guitar in anyway I would do my best to get another one. It's been such a reliable guitar to me, and granted yes its a knock off strat, and it's a Yamaha but it's a very well made guitar that many people ask me about because they like it too. I love the neck on this guitar for how playable it is. It's thin and very durable. Theres nothing I hate on this guitar, for what it is, it's perfect. I wish it came with a HardTail bridge, I've never been crazy for tremolos but I like it none the less.

As far as my electric guitars go, I own a Fender Vintage 60's style telecaster, an Ibanez artcore ax75 hollow body electric, and an aspen knock off Les Paul loaded with zakk wylde EMG humbuckers. I put this guitar infront of all of them. I use this for playing live a majority of the time for my songs and it's held up very well. The stock hardware before I did my modifications held up well. The strap buttons have been excellent. Neither of them have torn out or came loose once in the 8 or 9 years I've had it. The finish is very well and thick. Of course if you take care of it it'll last longer, but I have a few dents and chips in the paint from years of playing this but nothing terrible. The paints held up very well.

The guitar was set-up well from the factory, nice high action for hard playing styles. The pickups were adjusted right out the box well to where I didn't have to tinker around with the heights on them. I've had the guitar for about 8 or 9 years now and the only thing flawed from the guitar out of the box was how the electronics, more specifically the pickup selecter, gave away after 3 years. Thats not bad at all.

Not sure of what year it was made but it was made in China. 22 fret scale, on a thin tapered neck with mid size frets. Rosewood Fretboard on top of a Maple neck. Solid top guitar. The body itself is basswood. My finish was a black solid color. It's very similar to a Stratocaster body but with a few variations here and there. The bridge is a Vintage style tremolo with 6 individual saddles for string adjustment. I removed the tremolo arm itself and added another 2 tension springs for a total of 5 tremolo springs to make it a "hard-tail" guitar. Passive electronics. As far as controls theres a master volume and a master tone with a 5 way pickup selector switch. The pickup configuration is (from neck to bridge) single single Humbucker, brand unknown. I personally swapped out the Humbucker though to a Seymour Duncan trembucker 15. The tuners that came with it were non locking economy tuners. But again I made my modification to Schaller locking tuners. It came with a gig bag, strap, cable, set of extra strings, 3 different thickness picks, string winder, begginers book/dvd, as well as a small GA-10 Amplifier.

millrat
    ps still gigging..54 now...yawn, time for a cup of teaand a lie down, after my snort
    millrat
    I bought one 2nd hand for $129 au, and I'm very, very happy with it. I also play a !963 Guild Starfire, a 72 Strat that I bought back then. Playing clubsetc. since 14 years old. Had a Tele(mexican), a Dean fat strat and a couple of Les Paul copies over the years. My first guitar was a Gretch Country Gentleman, Chet Atkins model. This Yammy is a sweet guitar. Buy one. Set it up. Enjoy. Love Henk.
    GunLeatherGuy
    The last review was obviously written by a "YAMAHA" employee..... Total bullshit! Its an ok guitar....total wannabe strat. What do you expect for no money? Eric