EG112GPBL review by Yamaha

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat

Purchased from: NEX

For the most part I play older alternative and grunge on it. It works decently for alternative and (with the right settings) older rock, but doesn't sound great with the POS amp Yamaha gave away with it. The neck pickup is quiet and sharp while the rear is smooth and loud so the three middle settings are most used.

It was a cheap and good way to learn some songs and stuff and find out what I really want in a guitar. As my first it was good but I feel that it is time to move on to better things. If it was lost or stolen w/o amp) I would buy a Fender (Jagstangs are nice) but if it were stolen (w/the amp or just the amp) I would probably get it all back w/an appologetic note for having stolen from a poor and tone deaf youth. I need to atleast get a new amp really soon (if finances allow a Mesa Boogie probably used).

As a guitar that is meant to be a start, it is really good. It's cheap and (although it never sounds great) it reliably produces a good sound. It is easily dented and dinged and the finish is easily scratched (somewhat thick though, so not all the way through). The strap buttons have not broken off on me yet but I expect them to. A beginner that is meant to be replaced and not played hard.

It is made pretty well and has no flaws other than mildly poor thought through electronics (but that is in the specifications for it) and the free amp (that they expect you to throw away for them I guess). But I have heard and played worse guitars on worse amps.

- Not sure on the year (think 2001), but it is Chinese made - 22 frets with a rosewood fingerboard. The scale is 648mm (about 25 3/8") - Solid agathis body w/maple neck - Volume and tone controls and a 5-way Switch - Front and center single coil pickups w/a rear humbucker - It came as a set with amp, tuner, bag, capo, strap, picks and tremelo.