EG303 review by Yamaha

• Reviewer's score: 4.4 Poor
Yamaha: EG303

Purchased from: Sams

I was extremely disappointed in the sound quality. It was my first guitar and didn't know much and I thought it would sound like you would think a guitar would. I used a small (1 ft) amp only 50 watts and I was using no effects. It is very plain non-distorted sound quilaty even with a good amp. Sounds more like an acoustic guitar with a megaphone up to it. Not really any good sounds you can make with it, but you can play Mary Had a little Lamb and even Yankee Doodle!

I play metal, this is ment for 10 years to act like they are cool and they dont know crap about guitars so not even close to a good match. I've only been playing for 1 1/2 years I self taught myself with no help from no one. I now own instead an ESP Ltd F-50 and it was a dream come true. I also own a Line 6 Spider 2. Those are like made for each other I love them, but my neighbor's and mom don't. I would have asked for a real guitar instead of this one before I bought it. If it was stolen or lost I will just get something else instead. This really has nothing I like of it except the bridge plate in which you can make a diamond plate over it instead. This is pretty much the worst kind of guitar if it got even worst you would have a plastic guitar you can get for 5 dollarss that you cant really play just for 5 year olds to get them to shut up. Basically I would recommend you buy anything, but this guitar.

This guitar wont even stand getting to one place to another. The hardware will probley on it ware off eventally and wont work. The strap buttons (or maybe it was the strap) sucked! It kept coming off every single time you stand up so always sit down with it and I dont think you can "rock" while sitting on your butt and playing Mary Had a Little Lamb. I would never, ever go on a gig with it unless I was going to slam it on to the ground without even playing it, I can never depend on it for crap if I did go on a gig with it and play I probly would get laughed at and get shot after the concert. It would wear off in a year if you used it as a main guitar.

It was perfect kind of in a way since it was new. The pickups on there were not that great heavy metal adjusted way my friend told me to get a screw driver and make it so that all the pickups were basically flat on the body to get a dark metal sound. Not really any flaws everything on it was basically flawless until the first day I got it my cousin knocked it over on to the cement floor and put on a "unique" mark on itthe size of a quarter. I was so upset then, but I was kind of a "nice-happy" person then now I'm more of a "laugh into the helpless people face and knock them to the ground way" and not help anyone. Heres a good song I keep in mind.

21 fret, black paint job with gloss cover and a white bridge plate. This came with a case, tuner, extra strings, beginner book, plain strap, "woo-woo" bar, and 50 watt amp. Pretty much a basic or even bad guitar (not in a good way).

flying jello
    rbm90120 gave provided a terrible review. The guitar does what it's supposed to, and much better than most Squier by Fender stratocasters would. The first review is correct about this guitar not being able to handle distortion well, but if played on the clean channel or through light overdrive, the guitar stands well against most other imports. This guitar was made in Taiwan awhile back, when import quality was excellent. The time and effort that went into this guitar can stand against the majority of other imported guitars. A basic guitar, but it gets the job done. By the way, any decent player can make any guitar sing.
    cjxj
    Agree with flying jello. Do not find the above reviews particularly useful. It's really not that bad. Picked one up really cheap from a pawn shop with the intention of chopping it up to create a travel guitar (sold my traveler). Body was really beat up, but neck, frets, intonation and action was really quite good. I also think it sounds preferable to some other low end import Strats I've had. No, I don't typically use heavy distortion, but light to medium overdrives and other effects sound pretty good to my ear. Neck is smaller/thinner than my current Fender Strat. In the end, I didn't cut it. It's a great practice guitar that I'd probably even play in public once in a while if it said something different on the headstock. As they say, our mileage may vary.