ERG121 review by Yamaha

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
Yamaha: ERG121

Purchased from: Musikborsen

I am rhythm guitarist and singer in a punk band. I like the sound especially the bride bucker, perfect for distortion, powerchords and solos. The neck bucker by itself is a little muddy, but if you combinate it with the singlecoil it has a smooth clean sound, perfect for blues. I use it with a Peavey Rage 158, no pedals or such. Just pure guitar and amp. The bridge humbucker has a very bright sound, which I really like.

I have play aoucostic guitar for 2 years and electric guitar for 1 year. This is my first and only electric for the moment. If it was lost/stolen I would save up and buy a Gibson SG Standard. I love the bridge humbucker. It's a very good beginners guitar, much better than a Squire Fender copy. I've had it for 8 months and it havent let me down.

It will withstand live playing but if you want to be sure, take a backup guitar with you. I play gigs without backup and it works. The hardware is ok, the strap buttons are solid. The finish is good, but will war off a little bit with the time.

The action was surprisingly ok. No fret buzz. Pickups well adjusted. The black finish look good. The tuning machines is ok and hold the tuning well. The biggest flaw is the pickup-selector Switch. After a time of use it begin to make a popping noise when you change pickups.

The Yamaha ERG-121 has 22 frets and black finish. The wood in the body is agathis, the neck is maple and the fingerboard mahogany. A Strat style body with black finish, with one volume knob and one tone knob. It has a 5-way pickup selector and a Vintage tremolo. The pickups is H-S-H passive electronics.