ERG121 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: ERG121

Purchased from: Yamhaa professional

I play punk and metal and without a pedal this can give you some awesome tone. But the humbucker near the fret board sux but is excellent if you want to get the feel of a high end acoustic. On distortion, the bride humbucker gives out so much power! The SC is better for punk soloing. I got a GA-10 with this but my favorite setup is an ERG through a DigiTech RP-50 and to a Yamaha F-20 (I suggest lowering the humbuckers to get a better tone). If you play metal, go for this.

This is an awesome heavy metal punk instrument but if you prefer a lighter option, go for a S/S/S config guitar. this guitar is as light as a feather and does not strain your neck, but the provided strap is too short and the cable is a weak one. I played my friends Squier which cost 300 more dollars and its falling apart! This guitar is a beast waiting to explode. A real work of art. I have a pac 112J and thats better for more sophisticated jazz and punk rhythm but if this were stolen, I'd gor for an RGX.

The strap button, tuners, and whatever (except the input jack) will last forever. I would depend on this for a live gig. It's good for practice and is slightly fatter than the Strat (like most Yamaha Strato styles). I suggest removing the Fretboard H and replacing it with a chrome humbucker.

After 2 months of play, my pickup selector blew and I had to get it fixed. Then the input jack plastic thing snapped. I got the Yamaha guys to fit an RGX input jack in black. It takes time but it will work well for gigs. The tuning heads stay in tune, but only if use light or medium gauge strings. You can jump around a lot. The whammy bar is awesome! The frets don't hurt your fingers and they do not buzz. The guitar does retain marks so I clean the scum off with so cloth. I didn't find any flaws with the body or shape or basic hardware.

iamsatansson
    I have the same guitar and i used to play on peavey rage 158 tahts wicked, except i upgraded to a Line 6 Spider 2
    teo_huat
    this is my only guitar(erg 121)... eventhough some of u said it's not for gig... i used it alot of time during gig and once for auditioned without any backup guitar(since this is my only guitar).
    Spit it out
    I've been playing the guitar for... atleast 5 months now, and this is the guitar i got (only 140)its a great beginers guitar but the amp does have its problems like the buzzing if yuor not playing the guitar, yeah this guitar is great for metal or punk, awesome beginers guitar!