ERG121 review by Yamaha

• Reviewer's score: 2.6 Junky
Yamaha: ERG121

Purchased from: Argos

The sound itself isn't the worse you'll ever get out of a guitar if you've got a decent amp. I run it through a Marshall MG30DFX amp and for the most part it sounds fine, if not exactly brilliant although that said you dont want this to be heard by other people no matter how good a gutarist you are, slide ups and pull offs sound more like "pings and cat screeches" than anything else. All the pick-ups buzz like god only knows what and the moment you hit the strings in high distortion even if your muting the silent ones it will create a very large wall of noise and not in the good metal sense, think England fans in a pub and your closer to the sensation I'm talking about. The clean sound is much better though with a nice clear albeit it uninspiring sound, again its good for its price but you dont want other people hearing this thing.

Right in short what we have here is a well constructed beginners guitar. Thats all it is dont mistake this for anything even remotely like it's more expensive counterparts. If it were lost or stolen I'd just go and buy a new one its not even worth reporting stolen I'd just get an overdraft and get a decent one like I should of done the first time around. I like the construction it can take a hell of a beating but then again the finish is crap to the point of being, well what can I say its crap. And why did I chose it? It was cheap, I think thats the only reason I bothered actually.

I haven't played it live yet, and I can honestly say I dont ever intend to. It would withstand it no problems (just replace that default cable first) it's just I wouldn't want to be seen with it cause frankly as I keep saying it looks like a begginers guitar. Not to mention the way it sounds isnt going to be nearly enough to please a live gig. In short if you have the balls to take this live, in front of real people, I hope to god you enjoy the sound of mocking laughter.

The action as far as I'm concerned is fine on factory set up, you'll have to have it adjusted if you want a heavy gauge set of strings though but other than that. The pickups the bridge and the hardware in general is well set up so no problems there really. The guitar itself is tough as nails I've accidently smashed this thing against a lamp post in the past and there's not so much as a dent from the impact although small impacts like collisions with a table corner will go straight through the finish. On the subject of the finish, its cheap, its definatly a wood but its the most plastic like wood I've ever had the displeasure of coming into contact with. Beleive me you owe it to your own dignity not to be seen live with this thing its appearance just screams "beginner." The neck isnt bad though. Its a bolt on and its not exactly neck perfection but its nicely built. It's got a set of 11-48 guage strings tuned to E and its not even bent yet.

What we have here is a Strat style Yamaha guitar. To be honest I don't know the year or place of manufacture, it has 22 frets, I think the neck is maple and the finger board rosewood. I haven't a clue what the finish is made of but I can tell you now its wood but it feels like plastic. It's a tremolo bridge with a really bad tremolo feature (think so long tuning everytime you use it). It has a volume and tone control and it has two humbucker pickups and a single coil in a H/S/H configuration with a 5-way selector switch.

danabis
    iv had this guitar for about 3years it seems almost unbreakable! iv got no chips in it, its been droped countless times and even slid down stairs... its stil shiny and had no problems with pick ups or wires its great for beginners who or wreckless like me.