ERG121 review by Yamaha

• Reviewer's score: 5.8 Decent
Yamaha: ERG121

Purchased from: Sound Control

I play mostly with high gain distortion, through my Zoom G2.1u MFX pedal (which I hate) and a Behringer Blue Devil. When playing through this setup I can get an okay sound, if I play through a better setup I can get a surprisingly half decent sound out of the guitar. Don't use the amp that comes with the guitar though, it's rotten! Overall the sound is not great, but bearable.

Overall it's not bad for a beginner's guitar, the sound is okay, although it can be unreliable and the frets are very buzzy, it doesn't come through the amp though so it's not a big problem. If it were stolen or lost I definitely wouldn't buy it again but for my first guitar it has been okay.

I have used this guitar for playing live several times, and I have to admit it's been reliable enough in that aspect, although I have had problems with it and ended up having to get a pickup replaced, my local guitar shop did this free of charge so it wasn't too much of a problem. The finish is a bit shoddy, it scratches and chips really easily.

The guitar was set up okay when I got it, I had to adjust the action and pickups a bit but the setup was okay apart from that. The lead that came with the guitar was totally rubbish, same goes for the amp. Most issues I had with the guitar happened over the time I had it rather than when I first got it though.

I bought my ERG-121 a couple of years ago from Sound Control when I was first starting guitar. It is a Strat style guitar that comes in a starter pack (including a crappy 10W amp, a gig bag, a short lead which broke within the first month of me having the guitar, and a guitar book) aimed at beginner guitarists. It has a 22 fret neck, the neck is thin, which makes it easier to play for beginners. It has some sort of crappy plastic covering which chips really easily (although I am pretty clumsy to be fair). The pickups are a bit crap and my 5-way selector has really deteriorated in the last few months. Also, when I had been using the guitar for about 6 months the crappy plastic input jack totally fell out, not what I'd call reliable, but it's what you'd expect for a cheap beginner's guitar.

Korzack
    Remember picking one of these up, just thought 'What the hell, give it a try'. The bridge bucker was nice, but that was it. The rest was either a bit naff, or just plain cheap-feeling. Still, what do you expect for a 2nd hand 50 guitar with a few battle-scars?
    piebot9
    its not good am surprised it got over 3 the tone dose not all ways work a little bit of feed back more like loads ive got one you cant bear it after 30mins