ERG121 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: ERG121

Purchased from: Argos

I find myself playing a lot of Metal/Rock influenced music and this guitar suits it suprisingly well. I run it through a DigiTech RP100 with a home made 50W stack. The sound is very full but unfortunately these pickups buzz like crazy when lights are on full. The 5-way selector gives suprisingly different sounds on each setting of which can be adapted to your playing style. The bridge pickup is where I have it set 99% of the time and I find this does the job.

Overall, I think this guitar is perfect for any beginner. It looks good for what you pay and the pickups are suprisingly good for Yamaha Stock. If it were stolen, I probably wouldn't purchase it again as I have a lovely Ibanez of which I adore to death now. I do however still play this guitar as the one-way locking bridge is very efficient and consistent (compared to the Ibanez's Floating Trem).

I have dropped this guitar, bashed doorways and have been doing so for 6/7 years. It has been amazing, it seems invincible! Obviously after lots of bashing, the finish does chip away, leaving the Agathis bright wooden body to show through. The neck is very sturdy and gives you the feeling it wnt break but it is still smooth enough to be versatile with high and low notes. I'd say that the finish has lasted me a pretty long time as only a few chips have come away, nothing massive.

Guitar came very well setup with no configurations needed whatsoever. Pickups were nicely set and even. I can't seem to find any floors as of yet but I did find after replacing it with Ernie Ball Super Slinkys, I found I had to change the action of the 6th String as it buzzed like crazy. Easily done tho with a small screwdriver.

This guitar has 22 Frets with an Agathis Body. Bolt on Maple neck with Sonokeling fingerboard. 25.5" Scale Length. It has a Black finish and is based on the Strat-type format. It has a string-thru body of which I find to be very good and precise. Passive electronics with a Volume, Tone and 5 way selector. Pickups are stock. This was my first guitar so I bought it in a package including an Amp and Instruction book.