ERG121 review by Yamaha

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
Yamaha: ERG121

This guitar is a good starter guitar, but not much good if you are looking for a second, third, etc. guitar. It is suited for playing most rock/metal music, but the pickups aren't great so there is quite a bit of feedback when you turn the gain up (on your amp/pedal). I use it with a Marshall MG10CD and Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal. It sounds OK but like I said there is a lot of feedback when you turn the gain up. However the 5 way pickup selector and tone knob mean that you can get different sounds out of it, basically just buy choosing the amount of treble there is (the tone knob is basically just a treble knob and obviously the neck pickup is more bassy than the bridger pickup) so you can get a punk sorta sound when the treble is high and a more metal sound on the neck pickup. However I always use the bridge pickup because it sounds a lot better.

This guitar is a good beginners guitar, but nothing more. It is suited for playing anything from light rock to metal. The sound quality is OK but there is quite a lot of feedback which is annoying. I think the erg 121 looks okay but isn't very durable, and the action isn't great. If your'e looking for a first guitar, you might want to consider this one, as you can find it for about 80 on the internet now, but if your'e an experienced guitarist, Steer well clear.

I find this guitar is easily dented and feels quite weak. It is only really good enough for practising with at home and it wouldn't be durable or reliable enough to use at a Live performance. Mine hasn't broken yet, but it just feels like a matter of time before it does break.

The action isn't great, I found that the pickups were too high and I kept bashing my pick on them, so I lowered them. Also, the strings are quite high off the neck which isn't good. As for the fit and finish, the pickups are wonky, the neck feels weak, and the pickup selector is wonky. But once you get used to these things it's not too bad to play, and the wonky pickups stopped bothering me after a while.

I bought this guitar second hand of a mate (with an amp) so it didn't come with any of it's original accessories. It is a Strat copy (but not identicle to the Strat) with a plastic gloss black finish. It has 22 frets and a bolt on maple neck. It has an agathis body (I think) and a tremelo arm. There is a tone knob and and a volume knob, and a five way pickup selector. Also there are two humbuckers and one single coil pickup.

Baasoromyuu
    So it's been nearly a year that I've had this guitar and nothing has broken or fallen off of it. I have some D'Addario .09s on it, a CBI cable and Dunlop picks (i.e. I replaced some of the crap that came in the starter kit). Now I need a better amp.
    GTOtt
    This was the first guitar I bought (50) and I can't bring myself to part with it. Yeah the pickups aren't brilliant but I run it through Guitar Rig 3 and manage to get some nice tones. I've just picked it up after 3 weeks and it's still in tune. Well worth a punt for a first guitar.
    qwer
    Хороший гитар, у меня такой Для начинающ 80;х за ети деньги самое то У меня правда старая версия, из ольхи