ERG121 review by Yamaha

• Reviewer's score: 1.8 Junky
Yamaha: ERG121

Purchased from: strumentimusicali.com

This is strictly a beginners guitar, it sounds somehow "okay" on clean channel, but once you crank up the distortion you just hear noise and muddy notes that you can't distinguish with your ears. This is NOT a guitar for Metal (or maybe it is.. *cough* black metal *cough*), infact, quite a few local black metal bands use this guitar and they sound great as black metal has that "raw" sound, so -surprisingly- some musicians might actually rate this guitar as a 10/10. Anyways, I used different amps and effects and yet stays teh same problem, the notes cannot be identified, you need an extremely good noise gate to be able recognize what you're actually playing, and that of course kills the power of the guitar and prevents you from playing palm muted chords, tapping notes, sweeping is extremely difficult too on that guitar, and it's really hard to get pinch harmonics out of it. however -to be fair- the guitar can produce a variety of sounds depending on the 5-way pickup selector, you can play bluesy-groovy stuff, clean stuff, dry-crunchy stuff.. So, it's good for learning different styles.

I play mostly Death and Thrash Metal, this guitar is not for that those genres, it's not suitable except for beginners, or for playing black metal! (I'm not being a "racist" on black metal, I used to play in a black metal band and I used that guitar). I regret buying this guitar, and I'd give it for free to any of my friends Who show a passion for guitar and wanna start learning. To sum up the Loves n hates I'd have to say that I love the features of that guitar as it's better than most beginner guitars (trem. And humbuckers), and what I hate about it is everything else. I compared I to the Yamaha pacifica before buying, and since this was more expensive and had humbuckers rather than single coils so I thought this would be a more "metal" guitar, however, I was wrong. in the end I'd like to say that: Yamaha discontinued that product for a reason!

This guitar will not withstand live playing, as it doesnt't even withstand home practice! If I am to list what is broke in the guitar then I'd have to mention things like: buzzing on some lower frets (and yes I did change the strings), the jack-input broke a couple of times, the neck pickups screw has (I dunno if it melted or what) but it's not a screw anymore, it's smooth and the pickup keeps on falling into the guitar while I'm playing occasionally, one strap button broke and made the guitar fall, the finish is horrible, I scratched it a couple of times and now the paint "cracked" and wore out, oh, and did I mention that one time I was headbanging while playing and the guitar hit my head -goofy me- and I didn't get Hurt but the guitar had a bump! I swear! I'd definitely not use that guitar on a gig without a backup, infact, I'd never use is even as a backup.

The guitar came in a sh-tty condition, I had to adjust it's action, and the pickups were "sunken" into the guitar, I had to send the guitar to a local store to fix it. That cheap guitar came with a lot of flaws; poorly fitted, loose tuning pegs, loose controls (volume knob came right off in my hand when I just touched it, haha -true-)

This is the Yamaha ERG 121C guitar (I don't know what's the exact difference between it and the ERG 121 but here goes the review anyways). This is an old beginner Yamaha model, I couldn't find it's exact year as it's not listed on Yamaha's website, it is made in china and I've seen other versions made in indonesia (I guess the "C" in the model name stands for "china" maybe) anyways, This is a 22 thin frets guitar with a rosewood fingerboard, a bolt-on maple neck, and a weak agathis body. It has a black satin glossy finish that is easily scratch-able, and stock passive pickups (2 humbuckers and one single coil "H-S-H"). The body type is a Standard Strat, which is comfortable and convenient yet boring and "not" cool, it features a fixed bridge with a Vintage Tremolo bar, and a set of controls: a 5-way pickup selector, a tone knob, and a volume knob. It has "brandless" tuners that lose tuning very easily. The Guitar came with a gig bag and a cable shield.

Kaiser Lucian
    this is a good guitar for a "My First Guitar", its pickups are a bit weak but they are what a begginer needs