ERG121 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: ERG121

I play different styles like black metal, death metal, shred, blues, and classic rock. I use it with a Roland Cube 15 and a Line 6 POD XT Live. I can some great sounds out of it in this setup. I only get noise on high-gain settings but the noise gate takes care of that. The sound is great even though it's a cheap guitar. It handles all the styles very well, without any exceptions. You can get bright clean sounds out of it for funk, and you can also get warm sounds for soloing. I only wish the pickups were a bit higher I output, but it's no big deal.

I play a lot of styles, and really like technical guitar playing. This is a great match for me. The weird thing is that I prefer this guitar over my old Ibanez RG370DX because of it's playability. The thicker neck, and smaller frets just make this guitar more comfortable for me to shred with. If it were stolen I'd probably buy a higher end guitar with that can feel as good as this. The neck is may favorite feature in this guitar. The only thing I hate is the cheap material, and pickups. I only wish it had DiMarzio pickups, and 24 frets, and string-through-body type of bridge.

This guitar is pretty reliable. I used to take it to practice and drop it many times, and it doesn't have a single scratch on it. It can really take a beating. The strap buttons are good, but strap locks are better for players that gig with their guitars so they don't risk dropping the guitar on stage. The guitar is very dependable, and I would certainly gig with out a backup. The finish is good, because I've dropped it, and dropped a lot of things on it, and the finish doesn't wear out.

The guitar set-up was great. Perfect action and intonation, the pickup height was good, but I raised the neck pickup a bit for more output. There were no flaws in this guitar, and the all the hardware was in good condition. What I really like about this guitar is the neck and the frets that make shredding on this guitar a dream.

The guitar has a 25.5 inch scale length, the fret a bit thick, not too much, just enough. It has 22 medium frets, a rosewood fretboard, and the body is made of basswood. I got in black, and the shape is similar to a Strat but with some modifications. It has a 6 point tremolo bridge, but I don't use the tremolo because it screws up the tuning. There pickup configuration is HSH, and there's a 5-way swtich, a tone knob, and a volume knob. The pickups are stock Yamaha pickups.