ERG121 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: ERG121

Price paid: £ 29.99

Purchased from: Cash Coverter

It sounds great with punk guitar playing and has some nice sustain for such a light bodies guitar. I have used it with my Zoom 707 effects and WEM valve amp, although I haven't been able to turn the volume right up yet it does have some nice distorted and grungey sounds which are easily accessible. The sound is not as full as with a heavier and more 'woody' type guitar but this is actually one of it's strengths and why it is so good for punk, new wave and reggae.

This guitar is fantastic for thrashing about on and trying to play complicated stuff quite quickly. The strings are a little bit too close together for some styles of finger picking but that is not what it is for so for the purposes I use it for it does the job.

I have only just acquired this Beast so I have not played it live. The hardware seems fine and the strap buttons are cool. I know I can depend on it and will be using it a lot without a backup. The finish is a bit tacky but that slao adds to its appeal.

I bought the guitar second hand and it had no 5 way selector. I got one for 4.38 on ebay and it was simple to wire up. It also had no electronics back plate so I made a clear one out of a CD case. The pick up selector works fine and there is no fret buzz or electronics problems with it so far. The great thing about this guitar is the extremely low action with no fret buzz (as said before) this makes the guitar wonderful for playing lots of bar chords which is what you do for the majority of punk and reggae. It is also good for soloing andplaying fast licks. Not so good for blues playing.

Made probably quite recently it has 22 frets and was made in Indonesia. It has black gloss body and rosewood fretboard. It has a string through body with tremelo unit. It has two humbuckers and one single coil pick up located in the centre. It has a volume and tone control. It has metal tuners.