ERG121 review by Yamaha

• Reviewer's score: 5.4 Decent
Yamaha: ERG121

Purchased from: Yamaha Music Centre (Sri Lanka)

It suits my aggressive style of music-appearance-wise and sound-wise. I play a lot of hard rock and metal. Guns 'N Roses, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath to name a few.I run this guitar through a Marshall MG 30FX, and a I use a DigiTech RP355 Multi-Effects Processor. The Amp and Pedal are top-of-the-line, and thanks to them my sound has some quality. Like I said earlier, the pickups are horrible, and very noisy. This is a beginner's guitar, and therefore the guitars sound doesn't' have much variety. Tweaking the tone knob and pickup selector doesn't make much of a difference. I actually get different sounds using my pedal.

I play a lot of hard rock and heavy metal. And I guess this is a good match. Changing the Bridge to a Floyd Rose and popping some EMGs in would greatly improve the guitar. I've been playing for two years now, and this has been my only guitar. I have encountered quite a lot of problems with it. I like it's appearance, but I hate everything else. I'll be getting an RGX in about a week, and after that I'll be selling this guitar. I just wish this would have come with a Floyd Rose and some EMGs. As a beginner, I would have given this a 9, but as a guy who has been playing for 2 years, and has been plagued with problems, such as a cracked bridge, 2 broken pickups, a loose Bridge and tuners, I would give this a 6.

This guitar isn't very durable, and not reliable at all. I have played live three times, and the the guitar has failed me the second and third times. The Bridge was cracked the second time, and I had to rent another one while it was being repaired. The third time was a disaster. When I plugged in the guitar, all I got was really loud feedback. I unplugged it, plugged it agin a few times but nothing happened. We changed the cables, but still all I got was noisy feedback. So in the end I had to borrow another guys guitar. So, yeah it's very unreliable. Forget about having a backup, I wouldn't use it live in the first place. It scratches easily and has a LOT of dents.

This guitar was well set up at the factory. It was my first electric and I was too busy staring at it in delight (it was a surprise birthday present) to think about the action, not that I knew about what it was at the time. All I know is that it was in very good condition. The pickups were adjusted well, and there were no flaws. My happiness was short-lived, as just five months later, the middle pickup broke, and there have been many more problems ever since. The Bridge gets all messed up and loose after using the whammy bar for a while.

I bought this guitar in 2009. It came in a package titled "Gigmaker" (which is the very last word I would use for the package, as this is a completely unreliable guitar, and has failed me twice (at concerts). The package included a horrible practice amp (GA-15), a gig bag, a strap, some picks and a tuner, which isn't very accurate. I have no idea when this was made, but it seems to have been around for some time. It was made in China, but I've surfed the net and there seem to be a few models that have been made in Taiwan. The guitar has a maple neck with 22 thin frets. It has a strat-style agathis body, with a gloss black finish. The Bridge is a vintage, strat-style one as well. There is one volume pot and one tone pot. The guitar's pickup (the pickups are really bad) configuration is HSH (and I have no idea what the brand is), and the electronics are passive. The tuners are non-locking, and again I have no idea what the brand is, and, like the pickups, they are bad and cheap.