ERG121 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: ERG121

Price paid: C$ 80

Purchased from: Kijiji ad

The real surprise was when I stepped on the distortion pedal. HOLY SHIT! This thing blows my squire Strat out of the water, absolutely no comparison. Palm muting never sounded so good on my Crate amp and neither have any of my power chords. If your looking for an affordable beginner guitar and you want to play punk/grunge with a respectable sound this is a sweet axe.

I play this on a small Crate amp with a Boss distortion pedal. The only thing I would change on this guitar is where the patch cord plugs in (this is the only thing I like more about my squire strat). When I first picked it up I played some green day / smashing pumpkins / Radiohead / Nirvana.. And I never sounded better playing em. And I had a hard time putting this puppy down. If you find this guitar for around 100 - 150$ I wouldn't hesitate. If I were to lose my Yamah erg and could replace it for that price, I would!

Solid guitar. Obviously not for pros or to take to a live show. Best beginner guitar for the price that I've ever had my hands on. Strap buttons feel solid, the scratch pad takes some getting used to as its all humbucklers / pickups... Guessing that's why the sound that comes out of this thing is so impressive. I would say its dependable, I haven't had it for very long but I haven't noticed anything that concerns me about it.

Everything seriously feels good about this guitar. I've had it for 3 weeks and haven't had to tune it again, and that's after a few of my friends tried it out and we really put it to the test. Its not as heavy as a standard squire but it still feels solid. And its a hell of a lot prettier imho.

I got my Yamaha erg 121 off a guy locally. He didn't seem to know much about it but I had to check it out. I fell in love with the looks / color of the body. Nice and shiny black. I did manage to read some of the reviews online for this guitar and wasn't too sure what to expect when I plugged it in. I got pretty lucky this guy threw in a nice carrying bag with a whammy bar and extra strings and even a strap for it. When I got it home and turned it on it sounded alot better than I expected. It has a nice weight to it, feels very nice the only thing I don't like about it is where the patch cord plugs in... Your going to want a guitar stand for this puppy because 10 mins after owning it I put it down on the floor and snapped the plastic piece the cord plugs into (its on the very bottom of the guitar but off to the side). Not a big deal just have to be careful when you put her down.