ERG121 review by Yamaha

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Yamaha: ERG121

I have a Roland Cube 40 XL which is giving me alot of variety from playing clean to some blues to alternative metal, speed metal and all kinds of metal. The guitar itself gives good distortion but I've heard better... Alot better. that's because the pickups are really bad. Although they are passive (which is somehow a good thing) the guitar gives alot of noise when playing specially when I'm on distortion or on high volumes (even if playing on clean). For some reason, I find that the guitar can't give good palm muting sound AT ALL... Maybe a bridge problem (and I did change the strings many times) but the bridge can withstand the dive bombs with its tremolo.

I play metal, hard rock and sometimes some slow stuff and this guitar meets my demands (for its price). I am planing on getting the LTD M300FM but I won't sell this guitar. I guess if it was stolen, I won't really get it again. I only respect it because it's my first guitar and withstood alot with me.

This guitar can withstand playing among family and friends but not really big gigs. It will live on and it doesn't break easily (I've hit several times and not even a scratch). Strap buttons are well places and won't go off easily. Also the wood on the neck can last for about 3 years if you played with it daily so I think it would have done its job and more after 3 years of daily playing.

Well the guitar had some problems since it came... As I said noisy pickups, the pickups have to be adjusted with a screwdriver every now and then... But the bridge is well placed. And the fret buzzes are really rare. So in conclusion the factory did have some quality assurance problems when making this guitar and there was noone to test it before it was distributed.

Ok... So it's a Yamaha I got it as my first guitar. So it has 22 frets which is a good thing and a one-way tremolo bar. The body has a metallic black color which catches fingerprints easily but looks really nice and impressive for showing off infront of people who don't really have an idea what you're holding. It has a five-way toggle and three pickups... Two double-coil and one single-coil. Also the guitar comes with a gigbag which is nice.

rv_phoenix
    It beats any Squier and Ibanez GIO in its price range, but still isn't a great guitar. The overall rating is right, despite the fact that newbies feel entitled to write reviews about things they don't handle well and understand very little. (ANY guitar can do palm muting sounds, it's a player's technique, not a guitar feature. Some axes do it louder, some do it in a more silent manner: the player has to choose the guitar according to his skills. If it doesn't do palm muting loud enough, than the player didn't know how to choose his guitar and, as a consequence, he shouldn't write reviews , but feelings and impressions .)