ERG121 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: ERG121

Price paid: € 150

Purchased from: Nakas

I mostly play country, blues, jazz and a bit of rock and I would have to say that this guitar is better suited for metal or punk. I bought it for my nephew as a birthday present and I had a go at it to see what it can do. The amp which comes with it sounds less than good so I gave an old Marshall I had lying around and it sounds MUCH better! I think its at its best when playing with the bridge or bridge and neck pick-ups but is limited to as to the sounds it can give.

As I said I play blues, jazz, country and a bit of rock and this is not a good match for me but could be for someone who plays rock-metal-punk. I have been playing for 10 years now and I own a Fender Telecaster and a Gibson Les Paul. I am not comparing this guitar to mine of course. I am trying to judge it as what it is, a beginners guitar, an entry level one. The price good, the guitar seem solid enough, the amp that come with it is no good so get another one. This made a perfect gift for my nephew who wanted to start learning and is very close to the sounds he wants to play. So for what it is it seems great but you would "have" to switch to something better if get good enough. that's fair, considering the price.

My nephew has had it for just two months so I would know about durability although everything seems to be in order and doesn't seem likely to break down. The only problem I had was thrashing around with it I broke one of the strap buttons which are not so solid. I a Fender Telecaster for gigs and I would never this guitar not even as a back up. It doesn't suit my music either. But it is a great little guitar for beginners considering the price.

The set-up was good from the factory and the guitar had no flaws. The strings were a bit high for my nephew so I just brought them closer to the frets. The tremolo is the worst on this guitar. It makes it go out of tune instantly but when it is not used it stays in tune for a surprisingly long time.

Made in 2011 in Indonesia. 22 frets. The body is basswood, the neck is bolt-on and of maple and the fretboard is rosewood. The bridge is Vintage and it has an H-S-H arrangement for the pick-ups. It also has a tremolo, volume, tone and a 5-way pick-up selector.