Pacifica 012 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: Pacifica 012

Purchased from: giggear.com

The guitar suits my style very well, I play mostly rock, Indie and punk and the Pacifica is suited perfectly for this. I still play through the 15 Watt Marshall and a Zoom GFX1 multi FX pedal. When used with this it sounds great and like a much better guitar, although this is probably down to the effects. The humbucker can give a really nice crunchy tone, although like I said, does have a tendency to be a bit noisy.

I still play this guitar quite frequently as it's great for fast aggressive rhythm playing. I now play an Epiphone Les Paul but I'm glad I chose the Yamaha as my first, I would definitly recommend it above other beginner guitars that I've tried. It offers excellent value for money and some pretty decent features. If it was stolen I would not replace it, however I would have done with the same model again when I had no other guitar.

I wouldn't use this guitar as my main guitar for playing live, but it would be fine as a backup. Extensive live use would probably cause it to fall apart. The strap buttons are reasonably firm but have needed tightening in the past. The finish is quite thin but this is to be expected as the Pacifica is only really intended as a beginner's guitar. I would not recommend using it live without a backup.

The guitar was set up very well and needed very few adjustments as far as I can remember. The only real problem with quality was the input jack and supplied accessories. After only a few months the input jack socket snapped and needed to be taped up. The free strap broke within a couple of weeks and the supplied lead stopped working not soon after. The finish has been fairly resiliant to minor knocks and the guitar still looks almost as good as new. I have had no major problems with it, although it does have a slightly cheap feel to it as if it wouldn't withstand much damage.

This was my first guitar and it's definitly a good one for a beginner. It's in the style of a Fat Strat with a great humbucker which gives it a heavier edge than rival offerings such as Squiers and Encores. Mine's metallic blue with agathis body and rosewood fretboard. Volume and 1 tone knobs. It has a 5-way selector Switch. The humbucker is very good for the price although can be a bit noisy. I don't normally play through the single coil pickups. It came with a tremolo arm, and I bought it in a starter pack with a Marshall MG15 CDR amp, strap and case. A good range of features of good quality for the price paid.