Pacifica 012 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: Pacifica 012

Purchased from: NevadaMusic.co.uk

With the supplied amp and lead this guitar is perfect for playing alone or with headphones. From what I've seen so far the guitar can manage pretty much everything you throw at it but doesn't specialise in any one sound. With a better amp I think the guitar would sound much better. Keeping in mind its price point.

I play noob music, in a style befitting someone Who doesn't quite know where all his fingers are. This guitar is a near perfect match. In hindsite I would say that I find getting something like an A chord very hard because of the closeness, weight and height of the strings, when compared to the Ibanez GRX170DX for example. I think I would have liked to have known about jumbo frets before I bought this but I'm pretty sure I still would have got the Yamaha in the end. I have a 3/4 size acoustic for my son and a classical I borrowed a few years ago this is my first electric and my first real attempt to learn. If the guitar got stolen, I have more of an idea of what I'll be doing with the guitar now so I might well put some more money together and get a better one. I like this guitars flexibility, durability and price. Not to mention the quality of the neck. I compared it to an Ibanez pack at 169 and a Peavey Strat Pack at 135. The Peavey had no humbucker but it pretty much came down to the flick of a coin.

I have no idea if it would withstand live playing. I dont think I'd want to try. It's a practice guitar, for learning. The whole thing seems very solid and I expect with reasonable care it will probably be good enough for my daughter to play in 3 or 4 years time. The lead, strap, case and amp are not going to last more than 18 months though (at the absolute most).

The supplied cable is garbage, the strings are a little heavy compared to other guitars I have since tried. There is a slight buzz if played loud from the frets at the nut end. The humbucker rocks about for some reason but it all works and holds together.

I bought this guitar a month ago, it was my first and was new out of the box direct from Yamaha. As previously mentioned its a 22 fret Strat style begginers guitar with beautifully smooth Alder nech bolted on to a solid Agathis body. I've since learned Agathis is a cheap form of pacific rim pine used often in furnature and musical instruments. The guitar has volume and tone dials, a 5-way selector and a wammy which allows you to bend the notes down, but not up. The price paid included 7W amp, lead, case, strap and tutorial DVD. The DVD is poor, but a nice "value add", the lead is rubbish, the strap is ok, the amp is 'cheap and cheerful' but a 40 Marshall would be much better and the case is a complete waste of space. Seriously its too small to fit the guitar without knocking it all out of tune.

Lainey
    This guitar rocks serious bum man. I am far from a beginner...not bragging but I'm no fool still trying to do major chords. After sticking some elixer strings on this it sounds great through a marshall anyday. The tone range is brilliant even without adjusting the 5 way switch, and just the right distancing from the strings to the neck and the other strings make it incredibly fast for those mental Hendrix solo's.....and Matt Bellamy uses a pacifica sometimes so I just had to get it. It may be intended for a beginner, but I'd use this anyday over a strat, or any other version.
    i love my .....
    this was my first guitar i had no problems with it ever i have had it for 3 years of hard playing 24/7 ad nothing has happened to it exept some minor problems (scratches,bumps e.t.c)
    ordino
    matt bellamy uses it.....yay. oh, and iv had this guitar for 7 months and its pretty good so far
    EmoKiller361
    Ive had mine for about 3 months and i love it, excellent tone, only problem is it coulda used lubricated tuning knobs, but other than that it kicks ass